• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Traveler Upgrade

ccorcoran

Member II
We've been fighting our 16 year-old Schaefer traveler on our 1987 E34 long enough. Now that we're doing a bit of racing, it's time to upgrade. Has anyone out there converted a late model Ericoson (1986 and later) from the original Schaefer traveler to Harken? Any info, insights, parts lists or advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I've heard that Harken even has a track that can be installed with the original Schaefer mounting holes.

Thanks,

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I did it a couple of years ago. I posted the photos here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?threadid=511&highlight=traveler

I believe the Harken track with the metric spacing will match the existing holes. However, I opted to go with the Hi Rise track which doesn't care about hole spacing. If you do not have the optional track that runs to towers on either end, then you should probably go with the low profile track that bolts to the storm hood.

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
Chris & Wendy;
My 1988 E34 (#265) came standard w/Harken traveler which still works great after 15 years. Contact Harken, they have been very helpful to me in modifying the furler on my boat. They probably still have the info on the correct curve and may even have one or could make you one. Having had Harken on all 3 of my Ericson's I would definitely recommend doing whatever is necessary to get one! They simply work the best, hands down. Good luck. Bud E34 "Escapade"

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Chris,
I did this upgrade on my old boat with an antique traveler. I
ordered the track undrilled, and used the old one for the hole
pattern. It's a vast improvement.

Martin

ccorcoran

Member II
All,

Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'm going to grab some Harken gear ASAP! Geoff, I really appreciated your photo it helped put things in perspective. BTW, when you removed/installed the traveler track, did you get to the fasteners by reaching through the headliner, through the teak panel facing over the companionway or by removing the sea hood entirely? Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated...I hate trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks aggain!

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I believe that the fasteners are embedded in the seahood - like threaded inserts so that there is no need to get to the backside. To do so, I think you would have to remove the seahood. Because I used the high rise track, which is designed to span 40 or 50 inches, my track depends mostly on the two towers on either end for strength. I did use 1/4" aluminum stock under the track and screwed it to the seahood, but this was basically to give lateral support to the towers (in case of an accidental gybe). In any event, since the seahood is only screwed and not bolted to the coach roof, I don't view it as an adequate support for the track, at least for vertical forces.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
And here's an image of the new backing plate:

Attachments

• backingplate01.jpg
    backingplate01.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
And since you got me started, here's a picture of one of the new Lewmar clutches (for the traveler and halyards) and of the new main halyard winch).

Attachments

• winch01.jpg
    winch01.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 363