• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Cabrillo Way Marina (Westrec Marinas)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Cabrillo Way Marina (Westrec Marinas)

Thought some of you Port of LA folks might be interested in how the 700 new slips will be constructed, as well as all the other facilities that are coming. This will really change the way I come back into Cabrillo Marina. Gonna have to drop the rags right in the middle of Hurricane Gulch in the future. I have no idea when this will all be completed. Looks like phase 1 of 3 is almost done. Locals are calling this "Marina del Pedro".

The black slips indicate the new ones overlaid on a photo of the existing West Channel.

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/facilities/cabrillomarina.asp

"Cabrillo Way Marina is located south of 22nd Street and Miner Street on the easterly side of the West Channel and covers 46 acres of land and 41 acres of water. Improvements include 700 wet slips and 400 mast up storage spaces. Also included are floating docks with boat slips, boater restrooms and shower facilities, public restrooms, boater and public parking lots, and a public hoist and launching facility. Construction includes dredging and fill, rock dikes, reinforced concrete* piling, floating docks, earthwork, concrete work, grading and paving, utilities, temporary buildings, lighting, landscaping, and promenade.*"

Attachments

• Cabrillo_Marina_Project_Area.jpg
    Cabrillo_Marina_Project_Area.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,276
Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
Wow, will they lower the slip prices to fill the slips? Are they going to get rid of all the old floating wrecks that are there now like Shorleline did in Long Beach. Have to meet a minimum standard. We used to enjoy reaching in and out of there in the past, might not be so easy any more. Liking Al Larsons more and more.

Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well hey there Greg.

Here's what little I have heard around the docks. LAYC will be getting a lot of those slips plus a new Club facility. I am not sure if Westrec (one of the current marinas there) will be running any of it. I also heard that most of the boats that are there now will be out when their lease runs out. The Marina I am at across on the other side of the channel will not be involved with any of the new slips. Hopefully the new Marina's presence will help the slip fees stay competitive. Lots of changes in the West Channel in 2010. Construction is going great guns. The new park on 22nd Street opens this Saturday.

Meanolddad

Member III
Hey Jeff

We will have to pop over and see the progress the next time we are down at the boat. With the economy it may be a tough sell filling those new slips at any price. At our marina I am noticing a shift in the owners, as the boats get neglected and run down more non boaters are buying the boats to have a floating party palace in the marina. The boats never leave the marina and just get thrashed. Boats are cheap right now. Last weekend there were about 30 people fishing and partying on a 26 foot power boat. They all ended up sitting on and fishing off the surrounding boats since there was not enough room on their boat. Kids running all over the marina. Jessica and I sat and just watched the madness after we got back to the slip. Glad they were on the next finger from me! I think it is driving the marina managers nuts. Management so far has shut down any loud music that has come along with the party.

Fair winds
Greg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey Jeff

We will have to pop over and see the progress the next time we are down at the boat. With the economy it may be a tough sell filling those new slips at any price. At our marina I am noticing a shift in the owners, as the boats get neglected and run down more non boaters are buying the boats to have a floating party palace in the marina. The boats never leave the marina and just get thrashed. Boats are cheap right now. Last weekend there were about 30 people fishing and partying on a 26 foot power boat. They all ended up sitting on and fishing off the surrounding boats since there was not enough room on their boat. Kids running all over the marina. Jessica and I sat and just watched the madness after we got back to the slip. Glad they were on the next finger from me! I think it is driving the marina managers nuts. Management so far has shut down any loud music that has come along with the party.

Fair winds
Greg

One question, from up north of you in the cheap seats... Does your marina require all children age 12 and under to wear a PFD at all times on the docks? Common rule up here, and aligns with state law that requires they must be worn on deck underway. (Exception is made for wearing a harness and tether on a sailboat.)

Because of the liability, most yacht clubs (like ours) and marinas rigidly enforce this rule on their docks.

As for the trespass on other boats, that sounds like a problem for the sheriff/police to respond to. I betcha some arrests for underage drinking could be forthcoming, also... :rolleyes:

Best of luck to you.

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You are correct about the children life jackets Loren. What Greg is talking about does not go on at my Marina. Al Larson's is quite a bit more casual because it's in a more industrial and commercial fishing area. It's on Terminal Island. My Marina is Cabrillo Marina, part of the California Yacht Marina franchise. Security is pretty good and rules are enforced at Cabrillo. I know the Live A Boards at my Marina would not tolerate the kind of stuff happening at Al Larson's. It would be reported by them I'm sure.

Hope things settle down for you over there Greg.:esad:

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Loren

First a few words about our marina, we are the only marina on Terminal Island. We are surrounded by container ships and the container yards. We have one of the last commercial shipyards between San Franscisco and San Diego on one side and a Federal prison on the other. We have had problems a couple of times with parents dropping their kids off at the marina while they visited relatives in the prison. Management put a stop on that one very quick by calling the police about abandoned children. Slip prices are inexpensive, closest marina to the open ocean, and the fellow fellow boat owners have been great. Normally really a quiet place and we all know each other. Absolutely beautiful at night when everything settles down.

I have not seen any marina down here require PFDs for kids on the docks. My younger daughter was 9 when we bought Regulus and no one mentioned the PFDs were required on the docks. Not a bad idea though. Our weekend marina manager pretty much runs the place with an iron fist. I am not sure why she did not crack down on the party group. She does not put up with kids running wild normally. The weekday manager has had to shut down the loud music a few times explaining that the offenders would be booted out if the problem continues. We had to take off early since I had to go to work that night so am not sure how it all ended up.

The latest group that bought the junk power boat next to ours are quiet so far. These are the fourth owners in five years. It always seems to be just about to be taken by the marina for back slip payments and someone steps forward and pays the marina and it stays in the slip.

The trespass idea is a good one and we may have to check it out.

Still all in all there is no way we would move to one of the larger marinas near us.

Greg