• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Ericson owner!

Earwax

New Viking
Howdy, My name is Dave. I'm new here and a new Ericson Independence 31 owner! I was searching for quite a while for a boat and every boat I visited and as I whittled down my list of choices, the EI31 was always on top of the list. The sea trial and survey went extremely well...thank God, because I didn't want to this one go. She is hull #28 and will be called Invictus, after the poem by William Ernest Henley.

Here she is...

Attachments

• Invictus800x600.JPG
    Invictus800x600.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 318

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Bloody but Unbowed" = Viking stuff!

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Welcome to the site Dave!
:)

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Earwax

New Viking
Thanks

Thanks! I bought her the day before I left for the Seattle area for Christmas. Now don't get me wrong, I was very happy to see my sister and family whlie celebrating Jesus's b-day, but my mind kept wandering....

The poem really fits vikings, especially that line, Loren. Hmmmm, now to find a way to graphically represent "bloody but unbowed" on Invictus.

Last edited:

Earwax

New Viking
Viking video

Loren,

Damn, missed that raft-up...of course it's on the wrong coast for me. Looks like yall had a 'good' time. Now to find a Chesapeake one....

Earwax

New Viking
Ericson Raft up Ches Bay

Hey Paul, one of the trips that I'll be talking to the missus about is a trip up the Bay to Annapolis. I'm hoping (and pretty optimistic) that once she has a couple of mini-cruises under her belt, she'll be more than eager to go on extended bay cruises...

bayhoss

Member III
Short trips

Not to break in on the thread, but if you are looking for a good short (day to day in a half) trip from Norfolk, Tangier Island is a good one. Fair to good dining, good sights to see. Sharon and I will be doing it the first week of July.
Best,
Frank

Earwax

New Viking
Hi Frank,

Robin and I were just talking with her brother about where we'd like to go and Tangier came up. Thanks for confirming one of our destinations. If we're around in July, maybe we can meet you up there.

On a side note, David's video prompted me to take Invictus out today. Of course the real reason was to shift berths in the marina, but that didn't stop us from going out in the, ahem, screaming wind...

Attachments

• SNC10331_resize.JPG
    SNC10331_resize.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 176

CTOlsen

Member III
Up the Bay

My bride & I are planning our second season on the boat, and will be taking it to Solomon's for Screwpile (racing with someone else),l then on to the A-town area. The bay is a great place to cut your teeth on cruising.

Earwax

New Viking
Up the bay...pretty much all we can do from down here, huh. I have a good feeling that my ole girl will be a good ride up the bay.

I've raced on opb's since high school...which was, uh, just yesterday, I think. I'm thinking of doing the weekly beer can races out of Little Creek on Wednesdays...wonder how many EI31's have raced.

bayhoss

Member III
Good Crusing

There are also some very good spots worth checking out on the Potomac river. Being at Norfolk you have options that are north and south. I've planned a 14 day exploration of the Pamlico Sound and Silver Lake @ Okracoke for this summer and just can't wait. Plenty of good crusing all around.

Best,
Frank

Earwax

New Viking
Yes Dave, there is a 'South of Chesapeake'

True, we can always head down the ICW or even out and down. I'm just so focused on getting out, period. So, the only thing I've been thinking about is heading up the bay. I can't wait to hear about your Pamlico cruise.

bayhoss

Member III
Pamlico

Dave, I'll post pictures of the trip. Let me know when you head North, I'll keep an eye out for you. You should be easy to spot, those Independence 31's seem to draw a crowd.:egrin:

Best,
Frank

EGregerson

Member III
York River

A couple of guys at my old marina moved on to a marina just off the York; they say the sailing is great; the breezes come off the ocean in the afternoon. Enjoy

Earwax

New Viking
I'll be stomping around close by at first. Once I get the Adm. accustomed to short overniters, hopefully, we'll get out for longer trips....hopefully sooner.

The winds like to clock around to the east...if it is blowing at all in the summertime.