• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lots of gel coat chipping around portlights

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi all,

I wanted to get your take on this. The E27 I just got has lots of gel coat chipping around the portlights. Attached is the best picture I have on this at the moment. The chipping extends for about 2-6 inches out from the perimeter around each portlight, especially the larger ones. I'm not certain how this happened, but it looks like someone had some strong tape around the portlight and then got ripped off suddently. It sort of has that appearance about it.

My question is this. What's the best way of fixing this? That's a lot of gelcoat to apply/mix/color match, but maybe there is no other way?

The chipping can be seen down at the bottom right of the screen (just above the portside aft-most portlight.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG00318.jpg
    IMG00318.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 116

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ignacio,

I have the same chipping or pitting all over the transom on my 1984 E30+. Otherwise, the gelcoat is in excellent shape, with no signs of this anywhere else on my boat. I had thought it might be due to the boat being backed repeatedly against a concrete dock in a wind or something similar, but decided it can't be that, because it is also under where the stern swim ladder is mounted, and the ladder shows no sign of damage, though I'm sure its the original. I can only guess that it's some flaw in the production or mix of the gelcoat that shows up in certain areas. I wonder if anyone else has this on their boat.

I think the only way to fix this is to chip away any loose gelcoat, and then re-gelcoat that area, with the usual fairing, sanding, compounding, waxing, etc.

Frank

Last edited:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
That's what I figured. This will be a big gelcoat repair. My bigguest worry, however is that my color-matching is be poor, and yet with the testing I've done, I've so far been unsuccessful in getting a proper color match. Any suggestions?

Ignacio,

I have the same chipping or pitting all over the transom on my 1984 E30+. Otherwise, the gelcoat is in excellent shape, with no signs of this anywhere else on my boat. I had thought it might be due to the boat being backed repeatedly against a concrete dock in a wind or something similar, but decided it can't be that, because it is also under where the stern swim ladder is mounted, and the ladder shows no sign of damage, though I'm sure its the original. I can only guess that it's some flaw in the production or mix of the gelcoat that shows up in certain areas. I wonder if anyone else has this on their boat.

I think the only way to fix this is to chip away any loose gelcoat, and then re-gelcoat that area, with the usual fairing, sanding, compounding, waxing, etc.

Frank

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I recall that there are some posts on this website about gelcoat matching. You may want to do a search for them, or start a new thread on gelcoat matching, to see if someone has found the right formula. The problem is that boats age differently due to sun exposure, so what may be right for one boat may not be quite so for another. However, maybe with all the expertise on this site someone can offer a formula that will be close, and then you could adjust from there.

Otherwise, I think gelcoat matching is lots of trial and error with small amounts til you get something you can live with.

If you have a local fibreglass or plastic shop, they may be able to give you some helpful tips.

Good luck!

Frank

Sven

Seglare
I have not done it, but I've read that ...

You should not match the surrounding gelcoat. You need to sand down to un-weathered gelcoat and match that. If you simply match the weathered surrounding gelcoat the patches will not match once they weather.

But like I said, I have not personally done it.

-Sven

CSMcKillip

I did some color matching on our old boat, I replaced 1/2 the deck on the Starboard side, layed up all the glass layers, and added the final layers of gelcoat. I even matched the non skid area allong with the patterns. Its a long process but it can be done with alot of time.

Just think of the fiberglass as a coat, you can add it, you can take it off. If you mess it up you can remove what you have done and start over. There are several god topics on glass work and it can be fun, but you also have to be very carefull with the MEKP.

There is a company that has factory mached colors of Gelcoat, I will look it up for you and post it in the thread.

I can not see the problem in the photos? Maybee its on my Iphone, but I dont even see your ports?

Anyway if anyone wants a Fiberglass 101 coarse I will be happy to write something up on the subject.

FYI- the best place to color match is inside the boat, No damage from UV.

Next - Small samples work best and write down what you do.

Get the right gelcoat- they ake a clear, and a white base. For color use clear, for pastle use white.

Use as little as the color as possible.

Test and test, I used 20 different mixes til I got the right color, let it dry but do not add the MEKP to the mix.

Get 2 different mixes that are super close, then test outside.

More to come............:egrin:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi Chris, thanks a bunch for the tips!

For the moment, I'm only doing gelcoat repairs. I think you have to see the pics using a computer. The pits and chips in the gelcoat are at the bottom of the picture. I'm actually starting to think whether or not I should have this professionally done, but when I consider the labor cost, it just kills me. Any ideas on what it would cost to re-gelcoat the areas around all the portlights, assuming I have someone else do it?

I'm pretty good getting things done on my own...just don't have the procedure/technique for making sure this comes out really well, and the most stressful part is the color matching. I just shot an email to the folks at that website you sent. Many thanks!

For clarity: it sounds like it's a good idea to sand down the area first to expose the "real" color of the gelcoat, and then do the color match on that, yes?

I did some color matching on our old boat, I replaced 1/2 the deck on the Starboard side, layed up all the glass layers, and added the final layers of gelcoat. I even matched the non skid area allong with the patterns. Its a long process but it can be done with alot of time.

Just think of the fiberglass as a coat, you can add it, you can take it off. If you mess it up you can remove what you have done and start over. There are several god topics on glass work and it can be fun, but you also have to be very carefull with the MEKP.

There is a company that has factory mached colors of Gelcoat, I will look it up for you and post it in the thread.

I can not see the problem in the photos? Maybee its on my Iphone, but I dont even see your ports?

Anyway if anyone wants a Fiberglass 101 coarse I will be happy to write something up on the subject.

FYI- the best place to color match is inside the boat, No damage from UV.

Next - Small samples work best and write down what you do.

Get the right gelcoat- they ake a clear, and a white base. For color use clear, for pastle use white.

Use as little as the color as possible.

Test and test, I used 20 different mixes til I got the right color, let it dry but do not add the MEKP to the mix.

Get 2 different mixes that are super close, then test outside.

More to come............:egrin:

CSMcKillip

I would color match in the interior or the gelcoat under a hatch or cover, you might remove a piece of hardware to get a good spot, I would not sand anything near the repair area.

For the repair, you need several items and you will need to clean the area really well to remove any wax. Get a small can of white gelcoat, brown color.

You will fillet all of the holes out to form a 1 to 12 champher. Remove any loose material.

Clean the area with acetone really well, you will mix the gelcoat with MEKP, fill the areas or divots about 1/16 to 3/32 over the top of the deck area. Spray a thin coat of PVA over the area and allow this to kick. Take some 200 wet and dry sandpaper, attach the paper to a block, start sanding the area lightly removing the dimples and lightly sanding the surounding gelcoat. Move to 600 wet and dry and use long strokes to sand this area. You now should have a good idea of gelcoat repair, and you will need to do this again because you will miss some areas. After everything is patched, compound, polish, then wax.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Ok, I think I got most of that. I think I need help with what this means though: You will fillet all of the holes out to form a 1 to 12 champher.

Thanks again!

I would color match in the interior or the gelcoat under a hatch or cover, you might remove a piece of hardware to get a good spot, I would not sand anything near the repair area.

For the repair, you need several items and you will need to clean the area really well to remove any wax. Get a small can of white gelcoat, brown color.

You will fillet all of the holes out to form a 1 to 12 champher. Remove any loose material.

Clean the area with acetone really well, you will mix the gelcoat with MEKP, fill the areas or divots about 1/16 to 3/32 over the top of the deck area. Spray a thin coat of PVA over the area and allow this to kick. Take some 200 wet and dry sandpaper, attach the paper to a block, start sanding the area lightly removing the dimples and lightly sanding the surounding gelcoat. Move to 600 wet and dry and use long strokes to sand this area. You now should have a good idea of gelcoat repair, and you will need to do this again because you will miss some areas. After everything is patched, compound, polish, then wax.