• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Race to Cuba in 2010

SeaRogue

Member II
Great news for those who have been waiting for the Havana race to start up again:

The Sarasota Yacht Club is sponsoring a race from Sarasota to Havana on May 16, 2010. The participants will then race in the "Castillo" race in Cuban waters. The third even is a race from Havana to Key West.

Not so great news: The first 100 boats to sign up are assured a place in the race......there are 120 boats so far. I am number 119 on the list.

The event is of course contingent on the approval of the US Government, which has not yet been obtained.

Here is the link: http://www.sarasotayachtclub.org/SYC-Havana-Regatta-1650.html

EGregerson

Member III
Going Cuban

I hope this works out. maybe open a second sortie for the next 100 boats. I was toying with the idea of slipping over to cuban waters; thinking, what would 'they' do? How would 'they' know? (I don't think the Cubans would care) I started south from the chesapeake bay area in Nov; the boat is currently in Jacksonville; I'll continue on to Miami after new years. I hear cuban waters are gorgeous with anchorages to die for, particularly on the southern shore. It's time to normalize relations, ... and i told my brother in law I'd send him a cuban see-gar.

Guys,

I have sailed to Cuba three times, the last time in my E-27. As chance would have it, I talked with a skipper just today who has signed up for this race. If memory serves, he said there were 13 entries so far. The entry fee is $1K. That's a bit limiting. The reason for the race is that it's a feeder for a subsequent 15-mile race along the waterfront from Marina Hemingway to the entrance to Habana Harbor and back.

When I went down in 2004, I had to have permission from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), a Treasury Department division that's good at saying "no." On top of that, I was required by law to register with the United States Coast Guard Marine Intelligence Division (Miami) because I was exiting a Defense Identification Zone. I was required to get an export license for my boat from the Department of Commerce. The OFAC "okay" was pretty much routine. I had paperwork from the head of OFAC saying that if I was a journalist, and I be one of those, I was free to go. Cigars and rum were proscribed by W well after we got back, but I brought back rum. The Coast Guard broke one of the bottles when a cutter put out a large wake in Key West Harbor. I filed a claim for $10 against the Coast Guard for the rum. They hemmed and hawed for two years, but they paid. I don't smoke. Besides, cigars that were $35 a box when I had last been down there in 1999 were, in 2004, $135 a box. Romeo & Juliettas. My advice to the wannabes is don't mess with the regs. The government can be very nasty, it it so chooses. At this juncture, no blanket permission has been granted and no specific permission has been granted. You can go to Cuba legally, but you cannot spend one nickel down there legally. Not now.
If you do go, don't buy anything off street kids. It's universally counterfeit. Particularly cigars. The Floradita Lounge, where Hemingway hung out, is great, but a couple of doors down the street drinks are just as good and half the price. The music at Monserrat (same area) was to die for. Crystal beer is the best. To skip having a drink at the Hotel Nacionale is to miss hanging out where Gary Cooper, Myer Lansky and others whose names I have forgotten liked to relax. There is First Class in Habana and then there are the rest of the places. The first night there I had a mojito in Marina Hemingway. The mint had been chewed on by weevils. After that it was Crystal. Except at the Hotel Nacionale. See Habana Viejo. See the Museum of the Revolution. Bring baseballs, especially Rawlings. Give them away.

SeaRogue

Member II
Cuba

There is no way that I would take my boat into Cuban waters without following the rules of both Cuba and the US. I would like to retain ownership of my boat. The SYC has applied for permission to conduct the race and is awaiting response from the US government. The current tension between the US and Cuba is not helping.

As of Dec 18 the number of entrants stands at 127. I think I am the only E boat on the list.

Even if this race does not come off, I look forward to the time when we can cruise Cuba and feel safe in doing so. I suspect those cigars Morgan mentioned will cost about $350 at that time.