• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GEMINI Compass Restoration

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,

Over the winter I'm wanting to renew the cosmetic look of my old Gemini compass. Since I have a GARMIN, the compass is more of a historical and cosmetic restoration interest than anything else. But if your like me--you want to repair, replace or upgrade everything on the boat. It is only the money that gets in the way.

So attached is a photo of the compass--and I'm interested in shipping it off to someone to replace the "globe" and restore it. I've tried with limited success to use everything from toothpaste to polishing compound to "buff" out the 33 years of exposure to the elements--with limited success.

Please let me know your experiences with compass restoration.

Thanks!

Attachments

• compass pic.JPG
    compass pic.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,565

tyrguy

Member II
I have a ritchie mounted on our 29 is yours on a YS binnacle or is mounted somewhere else. I was thinking about replacing with a ritchie SP-5C it seems to be about the right size.

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi Ken,
yes my compass is mounted on the top of the binacle--I've attached a wider shot to show it.

Good luck with the replacement.

Attachments

• DSCF1784.jpg
    DSCF1784.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,265

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Viking, Mass "Ditto"

I started off with an "odd ball" an older Kelvin White Constellation circa? probably 1950s' I have no Idea, got it off eBay. And she's a Biggie, glass globe with a bronze housing but it was missing the bakalite lower body (which includes the turning magnets)
The bronze housing is the only one like it that I've ever come a cross, it has two arms extending forward that then turn downward and end in 1/2" dia pegs. It would be suitable to hang off a bulkhead forward of a wheel in say a wheelhouse.
I found also on eBay "a one size smaller" Constellation c/w the bakalite body, scrapped the rest of the compass and that bottom section after being cut down is what's mounted on the top of my Binnacle. A sheet of brass was used to fabricate the cylinder to make an adapter body for the top/ upper Housing to sit on.
The compass is (actually removable-just lift) hung off the Binnacle via two bronze Oarlock brackets (1/2" sockets) mounted to a teak member that also mounts the Beverage holder box. Convoluted I know but, it works-sorry I don't happen to have an image revealing that mounting arrangement. The image below was taken the day I finished installing the Binnacle Guard/ new JRC/ Mounting etc.
Back to the Compass-I get distracted so easily! I disassembled the compass and tried cleaning it up. The oil had been the color of "tea" and the card was thoroughly stained. managed to fine Viking in Mass. via web searching and ordered all new gutz, Gimball, card, the works.
Now here's a lesson, if they offer a gasket for the globe, order it. I assumed I could just use good Ol' silicone. After one year there were shards of black silicone floating around in the Oil. Silicone and compass oil do not compliment one another!
Binnacle2web.JPG

Ok, all I had to do was ask! Glyn of course had a photo from his Visit showing a "side view" Perhaps with some imagination you can visualize an athwartships piece of teak abour 1-1/2' Sq in between the Guard uprights-supports the Beverage Holder(fwd) and the Compass brackets(aft)
Hull%20_63%2C%20BinnacleR.JPG

Last edited: