• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Encapsulated chainplate question.

selous

Inactive Member
I bought my E 27 a few weeks ago and have been doing long neglected maintenance. I noticed a hairline crack starting on one of my upper shroud chain plates.The port side chain plates have been partially exposed!,I assume by cutting the fiberglass. The starboard side are all still encapsulated in glass.
I would like to know if the fiberglass is structural or was it done to try and prevent water intrusion?. I seem to see two bolts into the hull behind the glass but do not want to cut the glass away on all of them at once if it is structural in nature,I need to replace the damaged one and inspect the glassed in ones as well.In either case I need to know what is involved in getting these babies into the light.
E27 owners or Martin please chime in if you know or can find out.I found a few references to the encapsulated chain plate problem but no detailed stuff! :confused:
Lloyd

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Got'nee pics?

If the chainplates were encapsulated, I would consider
the glass structural. Post some pics so we can help you.

selous

Inactive Member
I'll get some pics up tomorrow Martin,thanks for the speedy reply.I vaguely recall that it is possible to just cut the glass off at least down to the horizontal bar but I will wait for confirmation first.I can't imagine Ericson would have relied solely on the fiberglass to hold the plates in( did they think they would last forever!!) but anything is possible I guess.

Last edited:

selous

Inactive Member
Thanks Loren! I found a partial answer in your previous links.You are obviously a veteran of the search feature on this site.

selous

Inactive Member
Still need a response from E27 owners who have tackled this problem of replacing chain plates. The design is aproximately a three foot horizontal bar glassed into the side of the hull with the uprights welded individually to the 3 foot bar,I have bared the glass to the weld on most of them and one or two of the bars that go to the deck look like they need replacing.It is impossible to weld new ones on as they sit right against the hull. Please help.

selous

Inactive Member
Hi Doug,yes I saw those posts and installing the new chainplates outboard using the existing horizontal bar is one option. Another one I have decided will work is to measure the angle of the bend and length of the upright plate from the horizontal glassed in bar to the deck,then cut the old upright at the weld. I will then take it to a shop and have them replicate it in the shape of an inverted T.The old weld for the upright will be ground down flush with the existing horizontal bar,as well as part of the glass around the existing horizontal bar (it might be less messy to just cut it off).After this is done the new plate will be pushed through the deck and the horizontal of the inverted T tapped and bolted through both horizontal bars below deck,the bolts would have locktite liberally applied and dead end just into the hull other side the existing horizontal plate.The new horizontal and the existing will then be glassed over with structural woven roving and epoxy to whatever thickness desired.I figure if the existing chainplates have lasted 35 years glassing over again should last at least another 20 or more,with the second plan it would be more important to inspect every few years due to lack of O2 in that environment,I also would still have to worry about leaks through the deck whereas with the chainplates on the exterior of the hull the holes in the deck could be glassed over.Plan two would be less work I think and they could be done as required whereas the outboard mounting location would mean doing even the good ones.
I have some time,the two suspect ones of mine were not quite as bad as I thought after cleaning them up with a grinder. I still have the nagging doubt in the back of my mind though when out in a good blow.