• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23-E27 fuel tank ventilation

davisr

Member III
Thanks for the pictures Grant. That's a really nice set-up you have. I guess there's just no way around gasoline fumes - at least some of them - making their way down into the main salon and/or bilge. I'm thinking I might just have to stick with portable gas tanks in the cockpit. I'm afraid I might have some ignition issues due to the proximity of my DC panel. Do you know where the fumes are coming from? It seems that even if the tank is in the locker, if it is completely sealed and if it is vented outside of the locker, then the fumes would not be able to escape. Do you think it leaches through the hoses?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Check the gasket on the tank gauge. When I replaced the old mechanical gauge the gasket was seeping diesel. I wonder if this happens with gas, too.

A separate issue might be that the engine has a fuel leak under the case when it is tilted up. Any resulting fumes could migrate into the cabin over the low sill at the entry. Long shot, admittedly.

Loren

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Loren may be correct. The fumes are more apparent when the tank is filled and/or when the temperture is higher in the summer. A leak at the top of the tank sound logical. Of course my wife, like most women, has an acute sense of smell and is very quick to let me know about it. I'll snug the bolts on the gage but will be cautious about pinching the gasket. I'll also check the hose clamps. All of the hoses are rated for gasoline so I don't believe they are the culprits and the outboard does not appear to leak any gasoline when tilted.

I had the same thought about staying with the plasitc tank but found that I spend so much time in the cockpit -I hated to be bothered by it visually and it just got in the way.

My plan to add a power blower is fairly inexpensive. Westmarine has an explosion proof blower fan (by Rule -of bildge pump fame) for about $30. I plan to mount it at the lowest point below and run a 3" diameter hose along the starboard side to exit the boat at the rear though a vent. This will at the same time eliminate any battery fumes and sulfuric acid smells. Maybe $60for the added piece of mind. I think I read somewhere that smaller boats were not required to have power blowers prior to 1980. All in all, I estimate that I spent about $300 on the tank but the added value and safety have been worth it.

Good luck with whatever works for you.

davisr

Member III
Thanks Grant. Yea, I'd really like to avoid the plastic gas tank in the cockpit too. I'm just a little worried about ignition issues since the cockpit locker in which I would place the permanent fuel tank would also house the back side of the shore power inlet and the DC panel. I like your idea of a ventilation fan. I've wondered about this myself. I wasn't aware that West Marine sold one. You say that you plan to vent the fumes through a 3 inch hose and a vent starboard aft. Do you know of a vent this size that will prevent the inflow of water? Just curious.

A question to everyone . . . is it normal for permanent fuel tanks to emit small amounts of fumes?

Thanks,
Roscoe