• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Largest size motor for Ericson 25

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
I have an Ericson 25 1975. What is the best motor for this boat? I currently have a 6hp evinrude and am kind of thinking that it is the bare minimum for this boat. Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
I second Loren's suggestion. Powered my former Hunter 27 with a Yamaha, extra long shaft, 4 stoke, with shift, start, and throttle led to the cockpit - was very happy in all kinds of conditions (but find a way to lock it - my first one was stolen).

--Steve

davisr

Member III
Kringe,

I have a Johnson/Evinrude Sailmaster 7.5 hp on my 1975 Ericson 25. Based upon my limited use of this boat (which I purchased in October in New Bern, NC), I wouldn't mind having a few more horses, especially when dealing with opposing currents/winds in coastal waters, especially near harbor entrances. I can say that the 7.5 hp was close to not-enough when beating into chop on the Pamlico Sound / Neuse River when coming into Oriental, NC (where I had her hauled out). One day I would like to upgrade to a 10 hp, but right now I have my hands full with some more pressing matters - rebedding deck hardware, repairing centerboard, and updating the electrical system.

By the way . . . what's going on with your centerboard issue? I read your posts about it dropping off your boat in a busy channel. Are you having another one made?

Take care,
Roscoe

E25, cb, Hull 226

davisr

Member III
Kringe,

I'm not familiar with the Commodore brand name. My first impluse would be to go with a well known name, both for the sake of durability and . . . for the ease of finding replacement parts.

As far as the hull ID number is concerned, that should be stamped on the top left side of transom. If it is missing, it is perhaps covered by layers of paint or by some glasswork repair from the past. If you just purchased the boat, the hull ID should be printed somewhere on the bill of sale and title, etc.

Best,
Roscoe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited: