• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repowering

bayhoss

Member III
I've seen a fair amount of discussion on repowering. Found this in one of my older books. It may help - hope so!

To reach one half of normal speed under sail = 1hp per 110 sq ft
To reach three quarters of normal speed under sail = 1hp per 55 sq ft
Same average speed as under sail 1hp per 27 sq.ft
Motor Sailers and those wanting ample power 1 hp per 10 sq ft

Best,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking around for old mariners' advice...
Lots of theories.
The one constant is that what was considered enough for a sail boat back in the 60's, nowadays would be a lot less than most boat owners want. Everyone is in a hurry, even me way too often. :)

With some quick Goolgling I find one guy's opinion that 4 hp per ton is good. Let's see... for my boat at a bit over 10000# disp, that would be only 20 hp.
Hmmm. While my stock 23 hp is less than I want for nasty days with big waves on the nose and adverse wind and/or current, I know that my hull would not benefit from anything over about 30 hp. (FWIW if our faithful Universal ever dies, a new three-cylinder Beta or Universal with about 27 hp will replace it.)

So, for an auxiliary for what we modern mariners call a "full-powered aux. sailing boat" I guess that I would vote for about 5 or 6 hp per ton.

How all that relates to measured sail area (or whether it even really should do so), I just do not know. Maybe one of the sailmakers on this site could give me a clue. Going with the "same average speed under sail" divider, theoretically I should have about 21.3 hp, with my 575 sq ft. Interesting.

Neither of these methods speaks to hull shapes. Now that most production sloops have the same beam-length ratio as "fat" cat boats did 30 years ago, they also need proportionately more power to force all that beam thru wave trains and steep chop.
Sidebar: Having endured one slammin' delivery in 7 foot seas in a boat a 14 foot beam, I rather hope never to do another! Smacking into liquid walls every 7 seconds all day long was not very much fun.

Interesting topic, and there may not be any perfect answer.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited: