• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cored deck at stanchion bases?

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
I am reposting to make this question a bit more clear. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the base of the lifeline stanchions on my 1990 E-28 run through a cored area or is the area beneath the stanchions solid fiberglass? I know that there is fiberglass above and below and probably a core in between. If you were to pull up a stanchion and look through the screw holes between the 2 layers of glass is there exposed wood subject to water absorbtion or did they seal off the wood to prevent water from penetrating the core?
Beanruben responded that the boat is similar to an E-30+ which may hold true for the E-28+ but the re-design in 1986 to the E-28 make this model a different boat in length, beam and draft.
Thanks again and thank you Sean so very much for this site. My donation will be on it's way this weekend.
Sam of "Nauti Jo"

Last edited:

Beanruben

Member I
Coring under stanchion bases

I just had the great experience of cutting up an salvaged E-30+, which is very similar to the 28, and it had plywood core under the stantion bases. Most of the rest of the deck was balsa.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Sorry for the hijack, but:

What ever happened to all the parts of that E30+?

Beanruben posted a thread in the "For Sale & Wanted" section about them possibly being available.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Plywood

This may not be too helpful (different boat, much different year), but my 1972 E27 had plywood core under the stanchion pads. Unlike the surrounding core, which I removed during an extensive recore, the plywood was still sound.

Unless you know for sure that its FG, you should probably find a way to seal it off from the bolt holes.

Doug

Beanruben

Member I
E30+ parts

Sorry for the hijack, but:

What ever happened to all the parts of that E30+?

Beanruben posted a thread in the "For Sale & Wanted" section about them possibly being available.

I got everything I possibly could off of it. I have: Mast, boom, two older sails, roller fulling, rudder, some winches, one fixed port, spinaker pole, pole mounts, Lots of little things. and some teak from the interior. I wish I had more time and better tools. The boat was on a barge so I was limited to battery power. I have plans for most of this stuff with the exeption of the furler. Once I recondition this mast and put it on my boat my mast will be available as well as the boom. The rudder might be up for grabs as mine seems ok and the shaft on this one is just a touch wider for some strange reason. Most of the stuff people inquired about was either missing or damaged unfortunatly.