• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder removal

JMCronan

Member II
Hope Everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

I was hoping that someone would be able to advise me on servicing and maybe removing my rudder. I have a 32-200.
When in a following sea the rudder tends to rattle around a bit in the tube, that is what I would like to stop/prevent. I am trying to determine if I need to remove the rudder to do this or if there is a better (i.e.-simpler) way of doing it.

Thanks in advance.
Jack

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Jack, that is probably the lower bearing showing some wear. Rudder removal is necessary to replace the bearing but I have heard of some folks using shims to repair this.

Jon Anton

Rudder play.

Just did this job on our 1988 32-200 at the beginning of the summer.
Went down to Russel's in Morehead City, not far from you.
On the 1988 model, the lower "bearing" is a bronze bushing. I had just a little play, and we didn't think removing the bushing was necessary.
We shimm'ed the rudder down maybe 1/4", because it was rubbing on the hull as it passed through center. I also greased the rudder tubing to the point I could see grease at the bottom. (This took 1 and 1/2 cartridge!)
100% trust in your rudder is important. After loking at the way this was originally built, I don't think it will go anywhere.

JMCronan

Member II
Well, I was finally able to remove the rudder today. It was a pain. I couldn't get the radial drive wheel off. I tried numerous things over the last few days to get the bolts loose but nothing worked. Nothing worked because all of the stainless screws were corroded to the aluminium wheel. I finally decided to grind it in half. I did this because the entire unit was very corroded. I agree that trust in the rudder and steering system 100% is very important. So, I was finally able to work the two halves of the steering gear apart and let the rudder post slip down.

newpbs

Member III
pictures please

Jack,

I would really like to see some photos of your work. I may need to remove my rudder someday. Any pictures that you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul