• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drying the bilge

Jorik

Hi, we have recently bought an E27 and this the first winter we are preparing for. I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good procedure to dry out a bilge? I have the automatic bilge pump, but once it pumps as much as it can, some water still goes back to the bilge from the pipes.

thanks

u079721

Contributing Partner
I kept one of those Parr oil change pumps on board just to suck up that last inch of water in the bilge, but all of the above suggestions will work.

However, if you can't get that last bit of water out of the bilge before it freezes, many of my friends just put a gallon of antifreeze in the bilge.

Glyn Judson

Preventing bilge pump back flow.

Dear friend, Consider installing a diaphragm pump remotely from the bilge with a pickup hose and strainer leading in there. That type of pump will hold water in the hose captive and not allow it to return to the bilge. Remember as a kid filling a straw with Coke and then pulling the straw out of the glass? As long as you held your finger on the top of the straw, the Coke stayed in the straw. A diaphragm pump works the same way. Hope this helps. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn Judson

Residual water in the bilge, what's the big deal?

All, While talking about bilge water, and being an ignorant west coaster on the subject of freezing water, what's wrong with leaving a 1/4" or so of water in the bilge over winter? Surely that shallow an amount couldn't do any harm in the bilge, or could it? The reason I ask is that no matter what type or brand of bilge pump one uses, it will never vacuum the bilge dry if for no other reason than a pump will only pick up water to the highest hole in its side. The same holds true for a bronze footed strainer. Can someone set me straight on the dangers or not of a teeny amount of water left standing in a relatively big expanse of a bilge? Thanks, Glyn

Emerald

Hi Glyn,

around here, the consensus seems it's just not worth damaging anything and everyone I know with a deep sump like ours puts a solid 1/4 - 1/2 gallon or so of anti-freeze into the bilge for the winter. Do pull out float switches or Rule style bilge pumps. I've seen a couple on friends boats seem to die for being in anti-freeze all winter. Go figure.

Sven

Seglare
If it is just drips put an oil absorbing pad in there to wick up the moisture and dry it out. Won't work too well in a damp environment.

-Sven

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Glyn - I can't speak for boats with internal ballast, but no problem for boats with external ballast. Most of my friends up in the frozen north don't bother putting any antifreeze in the bilge. I've never heard of a problem in spite of there being lots of water/ice in the bilge in the spring.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Jorik,

Our boat is in northern Wisconsin. During the winter, some days it melts and some days it gets really, really cold -20 degrees F. It's possible for some condensation to find it's way into the bilge.

We pump our bilge using the bilge pump and then pump the remaining water with a hand pump. We then put antifreeze into the bilge and pump some through the bilge pump to winterize the bilge pump and the hose. We have an anti siphon valve in the bilge pump hose.

This has worked for just over 20 years. Not necessarily a good thing, but we are using the original bilge pump and hose.

Enjoy,
Bob

Last edited:

HughHarv

Hugh
Salt

I put a half bag of salt pellets in the bilge last winter and just pumped it all overboard in the spring.

CSMcKillip

We are going to the boat tomorrow, I think that the hose can be attached to both ends, it really has done a great job over the years and is very rugged.

CSMcKillip

Our dewalt does have and exit air and will attach to a hose, it blows strong. I used it again to get a small amour of water out of the builge and to do some house cleaning. It really has been a time saver. Hope this helps

Sven

Seglare
I have had this vac for the last five years, best boat dollar I have ever spent. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6220

Excellent advice !

We just got one to be our boat-vac and dingy de/inflator. Since we had to buy a drill with a charger and two batteries to get the batteries it was certainly a bit steep, but this will be with us for a long time (I hope). The drill will become the boat drill, replacing the old almost-dead rechargeable.

We have been using a laughable tiny WM 12-volt vac and while it has served us well over the years to fill the dingy it is not a real vacuum. We also brought a hand-held 110v red devil with beater brush from home, but it is no good for inflating the dingy. Finally I got a torpedo-shaped 12v vac-blower but it was worthless.

I do wish the Dewalt was a bit smaller to make it easier to stow but it is wonderful so we'll figure something out.

Thanks again.

-Sven

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Deck Leaks

This will be the first Winter, theoretically that I should have a dry bilge. I've put the effort into getting a tight winter cover. I'm wanting to get the hull very dry to complete the barrier cote next year. I've always had some leakage at the deck joint/ toe rail, that's all coming off for replacement during this session on the Hard.
But, just for security there's "pink" antifreeze in the deep bilge. In the E 31 you could potentially split the keel open with suffecient freeze/ expansion.

Gmilburn

Member III
Low tech solution

I have used a baby diaper to stuff down into the depths of my E29 bilge to soak up the last few drops of water and sluge--think about it--what is down in the bilge that is not sucked up by the pump is pretty analogous to what diapers normally retain!!!

Just use one of the side adhesive tabs to secure it to a line, lower it down, tamp it down with a broom handle and retrieve. Repeat as necessary.