• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Questions on an '82 25+

phlatkat

We're looking at a 1982 25+. I've given the boat a pretty thorough walk around and it has been well taken care of as far as I can see. We have yet to make an offer and take it out for a trial. My question is this; did all of the 25+'s have inboard diesels? This one does not. It has a longshaft 9.9 electric start. There is a 2 1/2 to 3" circular hole with 4 screw holes immediately astern of the manual bilge pump. I'm thinking this may have been the throttle for the inboard. I'll get into the engine compartment next weekend, but right now it's full of buckets etc. If this did indeed come with a diesel, what do I need to so to make sure the hull was sealed properly (it's in the water now and has been for a while and is dry throughout). Do you see any problems with just using the longshaft (I had one on the Catalina, so I'm used to it). If I wanted to reload a small diesel engine what would be the pros and cons. Appreciate any input. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this but this was the one "Hmmmm.." I found so far. Thanks, Jay

phlatkat

Thanks Mark but in this case the shore power is hooked up and it is forward of the manual bilge pump...so the mystery remains.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
inboard option

The inboard engine was an option-so they left the factory with and without them. If your boat had one and it was removed there will be evidence in the engine compartment and on the bottom of the boat where the saildrive would have been sealed up.

I doubt it had one and someone removed it, though.

Only you can tell if the long shaft OB will work for you. If you do a lot of rough water motoring you will prefer the IB engine, but if you only motor around the dock and/or flat water, the OB is fine.

Nice boats either way.

Good luck!

S

GMC

Member II
I can't really help other than to say I've got a '80 25+ with a diesel in it. the throttle on mine is in general location of where you are describing, but there is instrumentation and key and such which would have also existed in that area. If no evidence of other cut outs, it probably was not throttle. Just got mine this fall and haven't had it out much before putting away for winter. Hope you enjoy.
Greg

phlatkat

Thanks folks, I'm going to go get more up close and personal with it Friday and possibly make an offer. The marina requires a deposit and offer before a trial. Pretty understandable I guess since it takes a bit to rig a sailboat and a lot of looky Lou's just want a free boat ride. Stay tuned, I'll let you know how things turn out.

Jay:egrin: