• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E33RH Blog

CSMcKillip

I just thought I would share our blog with everyone. I feel that this will be the best place to list my personal updates, photos, projects, and stories. We will be doing a complete overhaul of our Ericson 33. I got a year to get the boat in tip top shape and I will need the help of the Ericson family to direct me.

www.e33rh.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone.

Surfin Tiki

Member I
Chris,
Great blog! It will be fun to watch you work your boat. It's been one year now and I'm still getting mine dialed in. I see that you are considering Sunbrella for the interior. I did this and it turned out to be a good decision due to kids, dog, not wanting to be stressed, and the occasional wave over the companionway. We went with pacific blue and oyster piping. - see photos. Another thing I did was to take the alcohol galley maid stove and chuck in it the trash. It was replaced with an alcohol Origo 2 burner on gimbals. Cheap and works great. Under, I have a plastic container for pots and pans and a 5 gal bucket for trash. Simple, easy, light, and it solves some storage issues.
Joel

Attachments

• P1010911.jpg
    P1010911.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010912.jpg
    P1010912.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 81

dcoyle

Member III
Joel
I too have an E33-82, since 2003. My teak is much darker than yours, did the boat come that way or did you clean it somehow?
Doug Coyle
Happy Ours

CSMcKillip

Happy turkey day everyone, I would like to know if you all would be interested in getting a list of owners together from the fourm and start some kind of quarterly email list?

When I bought the capri25 we had no communication, I started a yahoo group, then I moved the site to join up with the Catalina 25's and 250's.

I think it would be cool to have a list of owners and the location of our yachts.

What do ya think?

Surfin Tiki

Member I
Chris,
It would certainly be beneficial to have an owners list, somewhere. Perhaps there is a way to do it on this site? It's cool that you have experience in doing this kind of thing.

Doug,
I think it is a typical finish of that vintage Ericson. It could also be the camera flash, or that Surfin Tiki was finished with off-white Formica around the cabin windows which brightens it a bit.
Doug, have you had to replace any spreaders on your 33 yet?

Thanks E33RH friends,
Joel

CSMcKillip

We spent the whole day at the Ericson, we have the forward v-birth totally clean with all of the mildew removed and all of the teak cleaned and then oiled . The main salon everything was removed and all hatches were opened up and cleaned. The port side has some water damage on the upper shelf and the teak liner at the windows, after looking at your photos I am looking to replace the wood with Formica. Everything again was cleaned with teak cleaner and then oiled really well. I also got part of the kitchen sink area cleaned back up, and was looking at the condition of the thru hulls and valves. The starboard side was just as bad as the port, muddobbers have several nest in rear areas and we had to scurb the teak several times to get the staining to remove. It really is starting to come together inside, the cushions have been removed and taken to our "interior seamstress" my wife sister. She has all the sewing stuff as she used to make high end childrens clothes. I still have allot to get done before removing the floor.

Some questions:
is it common for deisel to be ontop of the tank, you can see that it is the gas tank, there was the presence of deisel next to the wires comming from the tank.

Can someone give me the location and funtion of all the thruhulls and seacocks. I want to make sure I am shutting the correct stuff off.

We have a furler on the boat, reading the pages of tuning, ect. Is the boat going to be overpowered with a 130% genoa? Would it be better to have a 100% jib cut that would be a deck sweeper? I know that with a genoa on a furler that the foot of the sail is going to be high on the deck causing the boat to heel more..

Thanks

Surfin Tiki

Member I
Chris,

Not sure about the diesel. Likely the previous owner overfilled the tank and a bit seeped out on top. There is a 1/2inch threaded nut on top of mine and this had happened at some point.

Here is what I have up while "cruising" to weather. Take it for what it's worth, others may feel differently...

For 0 -15 knots ws sailing to weather, I use a 150% and usually think about reefing as wind speed starts to pass 12. This is a sail I primarily race with or day sail if it's going to be light.

For 15 to 22 knots ws sailing to weather, I use a 110% and reef when the helm tells me to. This size works well as a general purpose sail and with the wife and kids.

For 22-30 knots ws sailing to weather, I use a heavy 85% with the first reef in the main. At 25+ with rough seas, I furl the jib and sail upwind with just the reefed main and the motor on.

Joel

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

The tank on the top just has the oil from the deisel, no spill or pooling, we have the nit also on top along with two wires, one in front one in back.

Can you run down the list of thruhulls and locations?

Thanks

Surfin Tiki

Member I
In the head, 1. the big one is the holding tank discharge and 2. the small one is for the head water intake and sink drain.

Under the sink, 1. sink drain, 2. salt water intake for footpump (I think the fridge drain ties in) and 3. aft of those two is the raw water intake for the M25.

Under under the cockpit floor there is the ever famously popular Y drain hose.

dcoyle

Member III
Joel
Thanks for the info regarding cabin teak. I have not had any problems with spreaders yet. My boat is in Maine and has short seasons, but raced hard for a while. I hava a 150 headsail and furl when necessary, mostly depends on who is on board for comfort.

CSMcKillip

We are upgrading from a Capri 25, sails like a j24 or Merit. We have had several times in the 12 to 15 range and start to get overpowered, even have been knocked over at the line with the 130 up.

How far over will the 33 go? Do you all feel comfortable in 15 to 20.

Anyone sail in 25 to 30?

Just wondering.......