• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Scupper Drain Hoses

John Wressell

Member II
On a E-35 Mk III does anyone have an idea why two of the scupper drain hoses go to a "T" and then go to a below the water line through hull to drain? Doesn't seem to make sense that they would drain below the water line. This is in the context of winter storage in the water.

Thanks,

John Wressell
Stamford, CT

Steve

Member III
Under sink stern drain

Agree with in-water winter storage paradox. The purpose of the below waterline drain is to provide an additional and different pathway of cockpit drainage.

The stern drains are subject to flow back in a following sea or in a hard over heel, thus sea-cocks are provided to keep your feet dry. The other out-board drains are immune to exterior environment draining forward below-water line.

Winter storage of the outboard drains, my opinion, close the sea-cock under the sink, put a +-1 gal or more of anti-freeze down the drains and forget them.

Above the water-line drains, splash a little anti-freeze in the stern drains frequently just to keep the little under-deck elbows from blockage.

I guess the real deal is to physically check on the boat frequently and do what is takes, contingent on weather conditions, ie: rain, freezing rain, snow, temp. etc.. to keep the stern drains open, -anti-freeze in hand will travel.

steven

Sustaining Member
I've tried several different approaches to winterizing (on my 35-2 which I think is plumbed similarly). None so far are very good solutions. This year I'm going to close off the port drains in the cockpit (with kitchen sink stoppers or wood plugs). On starb. (the sink side) I'm going to divert the drain to a bucket on the cabin floor. Leave both thru hulls closed all winter.

--Steve

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If the boat is stored on the hard then just leave the seacocks open. Pretty hard for ice to form in an open hose..... I have stored my E38 this way, all the scuppers left open and not had any problems. The problems happen with IN water storage, seacocks closed, etc. RT

steven

Sustaining Member
Old thread but it is winter again. It's an odd number years so I'm wintering in the water.

Does anyone know the hose size on the E35-2 cockpit drains? and a supplier for a diverter valve?
Plan is to put in a Y just below the starb. sink and divert to a temporary sump (aka, a big pail). Then periodically pump.

thanks

--Steve

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Steven,
I found an alternative way to take care of this problem. Find soft rubber stoppers, the kind that they use in chemistry labs, the correct size to fit the cockpit scuppers that drain below the waterline. I remove the scupper drain screens and the plugs fit very tightly and more importantly, they do not leak at all. The trick is to purge the drain hoses with antifreeze. I close the seacock, fill the drain hoses up to the cockpit floor level with antifreeze. Then cycle the seacock, open, then closed again. Do this two or three times and this will purge the water in the hose leaving only antifreeze. After the last cycle I do not refill with antifreeze, I leave some air in the hose. Then install the rubber stoppers. I have done this for two winters now, in water, and it works like a charm. No water gets into the drain hoses and then don't freeze as they are filled partially with antifreeze. Seacock is closed. I got the stoppers at my local hardware store. On my boat I have two other scuppers in the cockpit that drain above the waterline so any water in the cockpit is drained through these. Hope this helps. RT

steven

Sustaining Member
Rob,

Thanks. That is exactly the approach I am using. Picked up rubber sink stoppers at the Dollar Store. It is a good solution, but . . .

. . . unfortunately, the E35-2 does not have alt drains above the waterline.

So closing the thruhulls allows water to collect in both cockpits. Especially difficult if it freezes. The only solution I can see is to keep one drain open and tap it off to someplace so I can keep the seacock closed. I really don't like to leave them open.

I found an old note I must have pencilled in the margin of my maintenance log that says 1 7/8" OD. Do you think that would make sense?

(I was going to put in an alt drain above the waterline drain last season - I think there is just barely enough fall below the bottom of the cockpit. But the yard wasn't up to it).

--Steve

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Steven,
With no above water drains, you only have two choices if you want to keep that seacock closed. I know I would want it closed.... Run the cockpit drains to a large receptacle below or install above waterline drains. If you were to add an above waterline drain it would not have to be large drain, after all it is only dealing with precipitation, not boarding seas. Adding a 1/2" to 3/4" scupper would be much easier to install and route than the larger standard sizes. RT