• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Commodore's cup at CPYC SF Bay

Vincent

Member II
I haven’t been racing my 28+ much but this last weekend entered the clubs commodore’s cup. I arrived late no crew no time to clean the bottom or take off the cursing stuff. ( the Inflatable, engine on the stern, extra fenders and other things.) I had also signed up for the spin division. The first warning was at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="12" Minute="55">12:55</st1:time> and I was about ¾ to 1 mile away from the start. From the lack of wind I thought they postponed until a none spin boat informed me that no postponement was issues. Also the spinnaker division was at that time heading for the start line. Up to this time I had the boat on autopilot near full throttle rigging the boat. So I shut the engine down and started sailing to the start line from ¼ mile away and reached it at the 1 min. warning for the next division. On the first leg to the weather mark I set up the spinnaker . The three other boats a J-42, That I’ll be going to <st1:State><st1:place>Hawaii</st1:place></st1:State> on next year A Catalina 34 on steroids and a union 36. All well on there way to the next mark, a beam reach. Once I set the spinnaker the gap started shrinking. The wind was light and I was fighting a strong ebb. I wanted to go deeper but the light wind and strong ebb maid it impossible. When the other boats rounded the mark and jibed I new they just made big mistake to my advantage. A couple of none spin boats had caught me but when the spinnaker up I said goodbye to them. Also I had passed the Union 36 before the first mark. I had passed the Union 36 before the first mark. The RC had now shortened coarse. I didn’t jibe after rounding but went for current relief close to shore. The wind was filling there also. At this time they are half way to the finish. After I jibed the wind freshened to about 12kt’s. and I was bring it to them and closing the gap quickly. They were fighting more current at a deep angle. At the finish I was 3min. behind the 1<SUP>st</SUP> place boat a Catalina 34 and 1min. behind the J-42 . <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
If it weren’t for the rules we fallow I would have done very good in this chase. Motoring during the prep is a no no. I had fun flying ;the spinnaker alone. The douse was exciting it got the blood pumping quickly. <o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Vincent, great job against all the crewed boats after coming from behind. That's the best. Didn't those guys have any local knowledge?
Would you have corrected out on the 34?
Next time set your alarm clock so you can make it count!

Keep up the good work!

Phil

Vincent

Member II
CPYC C cup

Vincent, great job against all the crewed boats after coming from behind. That's the best. Didn't those guys have any local knowledge?
Would you have corrected out on the 34?
Next time set your alarm clock so you can make it count!

Keep up the good work!

Phil
How are thing Phil? Haven't seen you in some time.
Yes I would have corrected out over the 34. They know they just go the wrong way sometime and I take advantage of them when I can.

Last edited:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Things are pretty good. I've been doing the beer cans down in Redwood City and will start this season doing the rest of the Sequoia races. Either this year or next I will start racing SSS again.

What does the name of your boat mean?

Phil

Vincent

Member II
Boat Name

Chai is yiddish or jewish and means peace to you or with you. and D. stands for Ditt the pre owner M. is Mary his wife. So the boat name is peace be with you Ditt & Mary. Or according to my kids Dad & Mom.
I've been busy helping with the j-42 getting ready for Hawaii and crewing on all ocean races so my boat is floating in the slip. I've only raced club races but am looking forward to the three Bridge in Januray. If the calender doesn't conflict I'll doo most sss races next year.
Vince

Matey

Member III
Bay racing

Vincent & Phil,

Nice effort Vincent. It's good to hear of some Ericson's racing on the Bay :egrin:

I'm new to the forum last year .. bought my 32II in Alameda and brought it up to the Delta to do extensive repairs. Done with those .. I'm moving out to Vallejo Monday while my name comes up for a spot at Brickyard Cove. My Son & I are planning to warm-up with some of Vallejo's Mid-Winter races and hope to race the Three Bridge in Jan. as well. We sailed it the last few years double-handed in our previous boat and really enjoyed it. We race in some other classes also, but are excited to get the Ericson back out. I think the last she raced was back in the 80's with a previous owner. We have an older mylar 155 and a Pineapple chute, both in great shape so it should be interesting. I know we can sail to her rating.
If you guys want, I'll post here on any of the events we are planning to race. It's always good having friends on the course .. and a contingent of vintage Ericson's would be sweet.

Regards, Greg

Matey

Member III
San Francisco Bay Racing

We're racing the Plastic Classic at the Bay View Boat Club this Saturday if anyone is up for it ? http://www.plasticclassic.com/NOR.html

Glass boats designed 25 or more years ago

Looks like a Boater / Biker fusion kind of Club and should be fun

Regards, Greg