• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racor Fuel Water Separator

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I have a Racor 220 fuel water separator on my 1988 E-38, supporting my Universal M-40. Unfortunately the bowl has a hairline crack that is pulling air into the fuel system -- I can see the stream of bubbles. A direct replacement for the bowl (RK20135) is $85.15 - for a piece of plastic! And of course it will be a few weeks to get it in, which is not a huge problem as the boat is now winterized (except for the engine, but that will happen once I see my way forward on this thing).

The question is -- is it worth just upgrading the fuel filter assembly altogether and if so to what, or just biting the bullet and paying this ridiculous boat price?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
500 series is the way to go

Faced with what you have here I would encourage you to replace the 220 series setup with a Racor 500 series centrifugal. The initial cost is around $200 IIRC but the replacement filters are only $15 as opposed to the $40 for the screw on type. The 500 series filters do a much better job and are a lot less messy to service.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I hate changing the spinon filter - no matter what I spill fuel and my hands are too big to fit under the engine to mop it up.

Chris A.

Member III
Another option

Another option is to use Napa fuel filter #3426

It screws on to your existing Racor body but doesn't use your Racor see-through bowl. It has a built in (and MUCH easier and therefore more likely to use) water release valve built in at the bottom of the filter. It is easier to change the filter since it is just one piece.

It's expensive, around $40 if I remember correctly. Can't see the fuel, dirt or water in the bottom since there is no inspection glass, but you just sample some fuel using the release valve and catch some in a cup.

I like it better than the Racor R24S filter elements!

507599.jpg

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'll second the recommendation for the 500 series Racor. I got mine locally for @$180.00. Cheap elements, easy to install and service. Its overkill for our engines but that leaves a very comfortable margin before it plugs up. RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You can add a vacuum guage to the 500 series racors ( actually I think all racors). Helps to know when the filter is getting close to needing replacement. I have not yet done this but may get to it this winter.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I'm installing the Racor 500MA this weekend - it was a total pain to find fuel line fittings of the right size but I finally did and they should be in by this weekend (http://fittingsforracor.com/ -- who knew you would need a whole website for these things...).

Should I use some sort of thread sealant and if so what kind? I suspect that teflon tape would be a mistake. Something from Loctite?

Thanks.