• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Restoring an E23-1

Waiehu

:esad::confused::egrin: Just joined the group and could use some info/advice. Have learned a tremendous amount already from past posts so thanks much for the history and folks who contribute to and maintain this site! This 23 is a fixed keel that has been on the hard for 10+ years. Not sure of year. WHere might I find the hull#... assume that could be traced to year? Boat is missing rudder and tiller head. Anyone have pictures of these for this vintage or better yet have one for sale. Have not been able to find via Edson etc. and am on a budget so dont want to have custom made. Also missing forward hatch, companionway hatch, and cockpit hatch... so pictures or leads on these would be most appreciated. Starboard bulkhead has rotted out... debating replacement in kind or perhaps using some heavy glass c channel I have from surplus construction... thoughts on this? Looking for advice on adjustable backstay configuration as well...

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome Waiehu,

Sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands. Here are a few rudder photos not sure they will help. Also a photo of the stern that might help with the adjustable backstay. Is it a split backstay? Do you have any photos?

Attachments

• e23 rudder1.jpg
    e23 rudder1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 95
  • e23 rudder2.jpg
    e23 rudder2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 83
  • portstern1.jpg
    portstern1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 92

Waiehu

Aloha Mark,

thanks for the reply and pics! are pics of your 23-1, if so do you still have her and would it be possible to have you take some pics for me...
i will post some tomorrow.

malama

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
They are pictures of my old boat "Coaster". I've got an Ericson 27 now. Coaster is still in the harbor that I am in (Santa Cruz CA). What would you like photos of? Do you know how your boat got to Hawaii?

Waiehu

Aloha Mark,

not sure how the 23 got to Maui... assume since she is on what appears to be original trailer that she floated on Matson... found your posted pics of coaster... pic of bulkhead is instructive... pics of coaster I would be interested in are of rudder head... tiller head attachment... do you know off hand is the the same as E 27? OD on rudder post on my 23 is 1 7/8 Looks like the backstay adj on coaster is very similar to the pieces i have left from prev ownwr on the 23. detail shots of that could be most healpful.. Attached are pic of 23 on trailer and my 27. Have questions about 27 too... hatch on your companionway is awesome! thanks for your time and help.

malama:egrin:

Attachments

• CIMG2250.jpg
    CIMG2250.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 86
  • dances.jpg
    dances.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 113

SailMaui

I am the new owner of this boat :0)

Aloha,

I found this thread while searching for information on my newly purchased Ericson 23 MK1, 1969. To my surprise I find the prior owner had asked some of the same questions I am looking for answers on:). I am in search of photos of all rigging on this boat. Back-stay split... everything, close ups on every part of the boat. Also hoping for photos of the interior cabin. Please OH please:):)
We have just sanded down to fiberglass on the bottom. Working on sanding down to Iron on the keel to reinforce with Nitex. Bottom paint arrives from Oahu tomorrow (black). Sanded down deck to apply new paing and grip. Mass ordering custom made hardware for rigging. Tomorrow is the day to order all deck ware. Its going to be a challenge ordrering everything to be delivered in Maui!:confused:
I am looking for any information that could help with rigging:egrin:

Mahalo, Stacey