• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Questions for Ericson 31-I owners

PDX

Member III
How thick are the cockpit coamings?

Are they the same thickness all around, or do they narrow toward the stern?

Also, from the pictures, they appear to be plumb with both inner and outer surfaces parallel. Is this true?

For those with teak caprail on top (not all of them do apparently), do they overhang the coamings? By how much?

Finally, are the cockpit coamings comfortable to sit on?

Thanks. I am doing an extensive rebuild of an Ericson 30-1, and have gotten a lot of ideas from E31I pictures.

Glyn Judson

Coaming thickness of an E31.

PDX, Call me crazy but I always save all the remains of largish holes, etc I cut in my E31, hull #55. I'm holding a pair of 5" circles that remain from fitting two Wilcox Crittenden deck plates, port and starboard in the inside of my coamings and they both measure 1/4". Are the outer sides the same thickness? I don't know having done no more over the years than drill the odd few holes for a bronze cleat or two and I really didn't measure then. If I had to guess, I'd say that they are the same thickness though. The teak cap rail overhangs outboard in all cases and on earlier hulls, overhang to the inside as well. I can't find it in my notes but if memory serves, the cap rail was made flush on the inside at hull #47 due to the fact that if otherwise, it gets you right in the bony part of your spine when leaning back on it. That overhang is about 3/8" to 1/2", probably closer to 1/2" if not that exactly.
The teak is comfortable to sit on and I'd imagine that the fiberglass could be too despite being an inch narrower. I just measured the gap between my thumb and index finger to simulate the width of the teak and I came up with 4" so without teak would be 3", roughly the width of two 2 X 4's on edge.
Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
The Coaming on the I 31

PDX,
you asked;
How thick are the cockpit coamings?
Also, from the pictures, they appear to be plumb with both inner and outer surfaces parallel. Is this true?
If I understand your question, you're referring to the vertical angle of the coaming. Perhaps this image will be more self-descriptive. The coaming is just an extension of the seatback. And of course I have the "PooBoys" version of the 31 without the teak coaming cap. Glyns' width I would say is spot on.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1138028/Binnacle2web.JPG

PDX

Member III
Wow. There is more angle on the coaming inside than I suspected from looking at the outside pictures I have seen. The outside, in pictures at least, looks pretty close to plumb vertically. I assume then that the inside and outside surfaces are not parallel to each other?

PDX

Member III
OK. Thanks Greg. Looks like three sides of a trapezoid.

That winch looks familiar. Is it an original Barlow?

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
The winches

PDX,
No, they're Lewmar 44 3-Speed Winches. The largest winch that would look right on those foundations. The original ST winches are going to the Cabin Top for other duties.

Glyn Judson

E31 coaming measurements.

Craig, I got by the boat today and boy was I wrong the other day when guessing the measurement of the coaming and teak cap rail. By the way, Greg was right when he quoted about a 30° slope to the inside of the coaming, a good angle for resting ones back at. As I stated before, my teak cap rail is flush on the inside of the coaming and is a total of 3" wide with 3/4" overhang on the outside. That makes the fiberglas coaming top 2 1/4" wide, 1/2" wider than one 2 X 4 on edge. Hope this helps, Glyn

PDX

Member III
Thanks Glyn.

Originally the boat had a teak 1 x 12 or so for a cockpit coaming. Looked nice but impossible to sit on. I'm thinking about fabricating something similar to what the E31I has, only more to E30-1 scale. So mine might be 2 inches with a 2 3/4 caprail, for example.

Still looking forward to seeing your boat. I will either E-mail or call you as the holiday approaches.