• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What to do with a great chartplotter ?

Sven

Seglare
A radar and AIS is in our future, can't justify not getting those pieces of equipment for safer cruising and crossings.

Unfortunately, the Garmin 2010c Chartplotter can't be interfaced with any radar. It cost over $3000 (according to the receipts) when new so we can't just dump it. Using it with a separate radar/ais display isn't in the cards either, there isn't enough room.

So, what should we do with it ?

-Sven

Glyn Judson

What to do with Sven's GPS.

Mark, If you're going to go that far, why not ask Sven to pay you to take it and ask that he cover the shipping too? Glyn

Sven

Seglare
You guys sure have a great sense of humor :egrin:

These things are worse than the proverbial new car driven off the lot and depreciating like freefall.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Choices and Options

A radar and AIS is in our future, can't justify not getting those pieces of equipment for safer cruising and crossings.
Unfortunately, the Garmin 2010c Chartplotter can't be interfaced with any radar. It cost over $3000 (according to the receipts) when new so we can't just dump it. Using it with a separate radar/ais display isn't in the cards either, there isn't enough room.
So, what should we do with it ?
-Sven

Well, there are some choices. Since there is usually room under the ss guard at the helm for one large screen instrument, do you value the radar screen more for immediate ship-dodging or the large Garmin screen for full time location awareness? I looked up your Garmin, and it looks like a great display viewing size -- lots larger than the 5" Garmin I went with.

Since you already have the chart plotter, it seems like you would want to continue to use it somewhere...
Maybe keep that plotter at the wheel and put the new radar on a swing-out mount at the companionway, or at the nav table where the crew would call out target info to the driver? Two of us Ericson owners at our YC do that using the budget non-interfaced but easily-viewed Furuno 6" or 7" silver-bright display.
Or, plan B, put the new radar at the wheel, and the plotter at the nav desk.

If I were starting over, with a better budget, I would go with a single Furuno combo charting/radar system. And, if really starting over, would pass on the cheap engineering/lower production quality Garmin... but that's another story.
Anyhow, the main choice might be deciding which info you want to have full time at the helm, and setting up the instruments per that priority.

Even if you go with potentially-integrated radar that could have plotting added later, I believe that you will always like having a large backup charting display. That's why I like having our old iBook at the nav table with its 14" screen and the hi-rez chart plotting that it gives me. Redundancy in the "where you is" department is always a comforting thing. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to you, and I betcha that I am not the only chilled-out northerner dreaming of a sail on Senta II today in some California sunshine!!
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Don't be muddying up the water now.

He already gave away a boat, maybe he'll give away a chart plotter...

;)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Can I assume that you are planning a radar/chartplotter combo with AIS? I would think that giving up the chartplotter for a radar and AIS (no chartplotter) slightly counterproductive? I would think that Garmin would make a GREAT backup unit, mounted at the nav station, etc. Redundancy is not a bad thing in cruising boats..... Its paid for too.

You could sell it here on the board

You could sell it on Ebay. I've sold some gear on Ebay and was surprised how much coin I got for it.

Marine Consignment shop. It won't last long there.

RT

Glyn Judson

What to do with the Garmin.

Sven, Rob brings up a good point regarding redundancy or back up. Although the gear on my boat is a lot more dated, I have two hard wired Garmin 225 GPS units, one in the cockpit and one at the nav station. In addition I have two hand held Garmin units as well. I have one hard wired ICOM M605 as well as three hand held ICOM IC-M3a's. None of my electronics have ever failed but having the back up gives me comfort. Glyn

Sven

Seglare
Hi Glyn,

Sven, Rob brings up a good point regarding redundancy or back up.

Yes, we thought about that but I think we'd rather have a second integrated display (radar, gps, ais) if the bucks allow.

Would you be willing to do a real-eyes inspection if we were about to hand the Garmin over to someone "sight unseen" ? I know you have already seen the "too big display" but I don't think it was running when you were on board ?

We could either meet up at the isthmus or we could come up to MDR and stay at the guest docks :)

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Our visiting.

Sven, The Isthmus doesn't look too good between now and the beginning of the season next year and I definitely wouldn't agree to you and Nancy sailing all the way up to Marina del Rey just for a GPS peek. Let's pick a time for me to come to your boat. Give me a call to arrange a date that'll work for all of us. Glyn H: 310.453.1892, C: 310.804.9198