• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need some refrigeration help, please

gregjp

Frank,

Thanks for the info. The Norcold sounds like it could fit the bill for me. I appreciate your response.

Greg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks, Chas. I'm curious as to why you recommend not turning the refrigerator unit off, even under sail. Is it to try to keep the temp as even as possible, rather than having it spike, or are you suggesting the on/off wears it out faster?

It would be fun to get together sometime. Our early retirement has been much busier than anticipated, but hopefully will begin to settle down in the next year or two, so we'll have more time to visit with folks.

Thanks,
Frank

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Refer help

WELL NOW THAT YOU GUYS ARE ON THE SUBJECT OF REFERS. I'm kind of in a mess. We are in Curacao with a not working fridg. we have a glacier bay mark II 12V refer system. It has a big dc motor that drives a Bitzer compressor that charges a cold plate in the box. Last month at 0300hrs our refer unit started hammering very loud(I sleep between my wife and the refer unit so we know each other very well),and of course it woke us up. Normally we sleep right through it. It only lasted a few sec. then went to just spinning and about 3-4 min later started rattling again. Sounded like a skeleton jacking off in an empty oil drum. I promptly shut it down. Now the motor runs and turns the compressor but nothing gets cold. It would start up and draw 19amp then when pressure was up the compressor kick in and draw 36apm and freeze the plate scene the awakening that has not happened. The sight glass for 134r fills and the bubbles go away in a few seconds. The oil for the compressor shows in the happy range. The loud hammering is what I worried about and Glacier bay has not been home for a month. Turning English because of warm beer.:confused::esad:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Sorry Sid, can`t help with the rattle

The only thing that comes to mind, is there an electro-magnetic clutch by any chance, or possibly a vibration dampner mount has let go.
Separate story....
I had to replace our Frig-o-boat at about 22 years of age due to getting the compressor and controller wet-story posted here previously.
I picked up a new-never installed Alder Barbour built around 20 years ago, added an up-to-date controller and coreless fan motor and it ran for two seasons. When it quit cooling I determined from rereading the installation instructions that I had failed to torque the connector assemblies fully-lost the R-12 charge.
Pulled the system out of the boat and took it to a refrigeration shop. They determined the controller was fine, the compressor was good and suggested I reinsatall it on the boat and they would service it there.
They installed one or more inline `tees` to be able to drain and flush, used, I think it was R-490 refrigerant-closest cousin to R-12 meaning you don`t have to worry about evacuating every molecule of oil to replace it like you would for an R-134a conversion. He determined the system volume and it works flawlessly.
Not in keeping with `ìf it ain`t broke! I have picked up a sintered bronze thruhull exchanger and will have it cut in to the system to eniminate the fan and cooler.
Realize this is an extended thread-Just a comment about Franks`early troubles. When you`re on shore power the battery charger is topping up the batteries but the fridge draws off the batteries regardless, the compressor is going to see 13-14v instead of 12v plus or minus. These fridges never sees 110v AC To minimize line loss between the battery(s) and the compressor they recommend keeping the conductors as short as possible.

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Refer Madnesssss

Thanx for the reply. After a month of trying to get in touch with Glacier bay they called back to let me know that they do not support my unit any more and gave the phone number the Pacific Sea Breeze (aka R-Parts) sent them e-mails and left phone messages no joy. So looks several of us here will put our heads together and wing it. With luck I will load the thing up with more juice and find if there is a leak. With more luck it will be the drive shaft for the compressor.will do this tomorrow.
Sid IN & ON Paradise E36c

Sid

BOATBUMMS
no joy

fridge has plenty 134a. Started looking for support from compressor dealers and repairs. Thanx for the help.

Sid and Manuela
In and On "Paradise"
Ericson 36c #51

Last edited: