• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Automatic bilge pump in an e23

fredn56

Member II
Fellow Ericson 23 owners,
Suggestions on installing an automatic bilge pump in an Ericson 23 Mark II fixed keel?
Some rainwater is collecting at the base of the mast post in the cabin, under the cabin floor. Most of the time I remove it using a turkey baster, and I am working on sealing the leaks.
I haven't ever seen any water under the cockpit. Is that the location where most people install a pump?

thanks

Fred Nelson
Ericson 23 Mark II #344
Ad Astra

Sven

Seglare
Fred,

We installed the automatic pump on a board under the cockpit, direct wired to the battery with a fuse.

We put an oil absorption pad at the mast step and usually left the little hatch at the mast step open when we were gone. The pad would wick up most dampness and dry out naturally but we usually didn't get that much water to start with even during downpours.

-Sven

fredn56

Member II
Hey Sven,

Where did you run the hose? Did you use a vented loop? Since the pump is automatic, did you install a switch?

Thanks,

Fred Nelson
Ericson 23 Mark II #344
Ad Astra

Sven

Seglare
Hi Fred,

Where did you run the hose? Did you use a vented loop? Since the pump is automatic, did you install a switch?

Sorry for the tardy reply. Just got back from a non-sailing trip.

We ran the hose to just under the cockpit seat on the transom, I think it was as close to the footwell as possible ? That was high enough so that siphoning shouldn't be an issue unless we were well on the way to sinking.

The pump was a small Rule (?) pump which comes on every 5 minutes and stays on if there is water resistance, otherwise cycles off after a few seconds. We installed a switch in the circuit to let us sleep ... having the pump come on every 5 minutes is quite annoying if there is no other noise and you are trying to sleep.

-Sven