• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericsean

Member III
Need to replace my standing rigging on 1980 e-38. Trying to get an idea how much to budget.

Wondering how much additional rod rigging would be.

Broke intermediate shroud on starboard side today 1n 20 knots racing today.

Surprised that it broke at the top T-BALL swage connection. I understand they usaully break on the bottom where water collects, so maybe this was a bad swage fitting that let go?

Sven

Seglare
Some disconnected observations ...

Rod rigging, don't unless you are on the hairy racing edge. Rod rigging gives no advance warning before they give way. I asked the same question a while back on SCCA.

We are about to spend a fortune on Senta's re-rigging.

Don't panic. The total cost is about $14K, but that includes upgrades.

It includes adding a cutter stay and a garhaur rigid vang and re-painting the mast+boom plus doing some glass-work for the genoa sheet leads through the cockpit coming plus some new sheets etc., and doing the wiring to get a tri-color LED and anchor light at the top, plus a radar bracket installation and wire pull.

I'd guess we would have gotten away with $7K if it was just a standing rigging replacement on our 39B.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wire, Rod, Dyform ??

Recent thread that seems related:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2882

Costs of steel are now down a lot from their artificial high just before the recession took effect...

Local yards tell me that another consequence of the recession is that vendors and warehouses now have a lot less parts on hand and order times are sometimes a lot longer.

Money or Time... if the one don't cost ya, the other one will.
:rolleyes:

One rod rigging note: it's been a choice for the higher-end cruisers like the Valiant 40 and the Niagara's (my old '81 N-26 had it) since the late 70's.
And also consider the "better version" of wire: Dyform. I know of a sailor that put Dyform on his 40 footer and loves it.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
It seems like when we redid ours about 3 years ago, the estimate was a little over $3,000 to have it done. That said, we spent way more than that because of additional stuff we decided to do. We pulled the mast, stripped and repainted, changed sheaves, added a tricolor and new decklight, new furler,and so on. We got a deal on the rigging which only cost around $1500 including backstay insulators. The yard charged us nearly $500 to put the mast back in. We had pulled it ourselves and the marina had let me work on it in their yard.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

Ian S

Member III
Hi Kevin. I am a rigger in the chicago area and you don't have to spend a whole lot to replace you rigging. The best thing you can do is take everything down, label it, box it up and send it out to my good Friend Jeff Shushter at Rigging Only in Mass. They will make you everything you need. Absolutely unnecessary to go to rod and you will faint when you see the cost. If you replace your rig with good quality wire you will rip out your deck fittings long before the wire gives up. Give them a call they are the best rigging shop in the U.S.

Capt. Ian S

e38 owner

Member III
Rigging

I used a company in Southern Cal. He did most of the orginal rigging
It was not too much$$. He also did my lifelines.
To save a little money we switched to regular turnbuckles from the Navtec.
I don't rember the price but I am sure it was well under 10K I am thinking between 1K and 2K or so but I really don't remember

I changed the rigging with the mast up and my crew and I did all the work.
Tom told me what to measure. He made the rigging and sent it to me.
The most difficult part is the spreaders. They had stainless bolts in the aluminum fitting and had become one. We took one off at a time. Brought it down to the deck and did the required work.

My boat is at a lake without a boat yard so it is how we do everything.

The company was furling and rigging corp Tom

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hi Kevin. I am a rigger in the chicago area and you don't have to spend a whole lot to replace you rigging. The best thing you can do is take everything down, label it, box it up and send it out to my good Friend Jeff Shushter at Rigging Only in Mass. They will make you everything you need. Absolutely unnecessary to go to rod and you will faint when you see the cost. If you replace your rig with good quality wire you will rip out your deck fittings long before the wire gives up. Give them a call they are the best rigging shop in the U.S.

Capt. Ian S

What he said! I did all the standing, except the headstay, on my E38 two years ago and it was under $2000.00 by a local shop. Priced rod the same way and it was $7K+

RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's a lotta moola

Back a few years or maybe it was a decade ago, when rod was commonly said to be about 20% more expensive than wire, those quotes must have been strictly from OEM sources.
7K ! Yikes !

LB

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Back a few years or maybe it was a decade ago, when rod was commonly said to be about 20% more expensive than wire, those quotes must have been strictly from OEM sources.
7K ! Yikes !

LB

If I'm remembering correctly they wanted to change to discontinuous rigging, so the spreaders, four of them, would need reworking, etc. It was more of a complete change of rigging system. I didn't think it was worth the coin, even if I was headed offshore. RT