• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water tightness question for rubrails

rgraham

Member II
Hello All,
I put 2" - 2" TEAK Rubrails on my 36 RH and used 3 inch screws with 5300 on them through the glassed interior hull/deck joint. Some have failed to stay water tight. I rounded off both edges of a 2 by 2 and dadoed a groove in the back to go over the hull/deck joint flange then bored holes into it along the centerline of it and ran the screws into the hull (they were more or less self taping) I gooped each one up with 5300 as I ran it in with a screw gun. I also put a ton of 5300 in the dadoed groove before placing it on the joint. It amazes me how water can find its way in through the smallest of openings. So I think I'm going to replace these with machine screws with nuts and washers on the inside of the hull and I was wondering is there a method that will insure water tightness?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Last edited:

HughHarv

Hugh
Hello All,
I put 2" - 2" TEAK Rubrails on my 36 RH and used 3 inch screws with 5300 on them through the glassed interior hull/deck joint. Some have failed to stay water tight. I rounded off both edges of a 2 by 2 and dadoed a groove in the back to go over the hull/deck joint flange then bored holes into it along the centerline of it and ran the screws into the hull (they were more or less self taping) I gooped each one up with 5300 as I ran it in with a screw gun. I also put a ton of 5300 in the dadoed groove before placing it on the joint. It amazes me how water can find its way in through the smallest of openings. So I think I'm going to replace these with machine screws with nuts and washers on the inside of the hull and I was wondering is there a method that will insure water tightness?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Is the rubrail pulled up tight to the hull? I've spun a few screws too hard with a screw gun and ate up the fiberglass threads. Once the screws lost thier grip on the glass, I had to resort to bolts, washers and nuts? I'd use a screw driver to check and see if the screws are still tight and the rubrail is pulled up snug to the hull, especially where the screws leak?