• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing portlight glass Ericson 30+

Beanruben

Member I
Having shattered the glass on one of my fixed ports I was wondering if anyone would have any insight on how to replace it without removing the port. It doesn't leak now and I don't want to mess with a good thing. Thanks for any assistance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Shattered" as in pieces of glass all over a settee or just a pattern of cracks from being whacked with a block or a winch handle?

LB

Beanruben

Member I
Shattered

It had an adhesive uv tint on it which kept it from going all over the settee but I finished that job trying to get it out. It doesn't seem like the frame comes apart. I removed all of the screws and the inner frame comes off but the groove holding the glass does not open up. I don't know if there is some give in the groove that allows you to "pop" the glass in and then seal around it or if I'm totally missing something.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hi Beanruben,

Very nice meeting and chatting with you this evening. I hadn't realized it at the time that it was you who had this difficulty or I would have asked more about your current window design, but you might find this thread of interest:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5968

I'm a big fan of butyl tape...my boat had been frustratingly leaky but after a couple of butyl tape sessions and a few window replacements, it is as dry now as it's ever been, even with all this season's rain.

Yes, the new frames are plastic, but they're matched on both sides so they look quite shipshape. (Feel free to take a look for yourself!) The glass is permanently sealed in them all the way around and will never leak. I will never bother attempting to clean up and reinstall the original gasketed 3-part aluminum frame again--if those suckers leak again they're getting replaced.

The windows came from Mark Hiscock at Mark Plastics:
http://sailmagazine.com/sail-buyers-guide/mark_plastics_go_marine_windows/

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Go...

Thanks for the info on "Go Windows" ... I remember reading that this company had ceased operations many years ago. Perhaps they just reorganized or were purchased.
If memory serves, they once provided the ports for Newport sailboats.
LB

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Mark told me he purchased Go Windows (or whatever was left of it -- perhaps just the name) and incorporated it into his existing business, Mark Plastics.

Beanruben

Member I
fixed Ports

Tenders,

A pleasure meeting you and your daughter as well. It was a very nice evening.

Thanks for the source on the ports. I may take one from the wrecked Ericson on the barge but it's nice to have an option.

See you around the club.