• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two sailboats lost at West End this weekend

Mikebat

Member III
I just heard from a man who lives aboard his boat on B dock at Cabrillo Marina that his two neighbors lost their boats at the West End on Sunday. Both boats were at Catalina Harbor for the weekend and left Sunday afternoon. One boat - a Fuji 32 I think he said - lost power and the woman single-handing her could not sail high enough to clear the West End. There was 30 knots of wind, gusting higher. The other boat - a Tayana 42 I think? - motored in with a tow line, but it tore the cleat off the Fuji 32, and broke the woman's arm in the process. Then the second boat got its prop tangled in kelp. Both went up on the rocks and everything was lost.

All hands were rescued, I don't know how. It was a passing conversation at the laundry room. Anybody heard anything else about this?

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mike,

We were listening to the CG end of the incident while it was going on from the first mayday call. Hearing just one side made it a but uncertain what was going on, for example we'd hear the CG ask what the sea state was but never hear the answer. As usual, relaying of GPS coordinates took about 4-5 repeats before they were correct. It seems a consistent pattern that coordinates get confused and I wonder why the CG doesn't have real-time playback to be able to replay what they hear (they mishear as often as the boat will misstate).

We did hear the repeat "confirm that you have spotted three people in the water" but we don't know at what point that occurred ... sounds like it must have been after the initial rescue attempt ?

Very sad to hear that they lost two boats. Wonder if it was Pirate Weekend related.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Veronica in the office told Nancy that both boats were live-aboards on the B dock. Very sad.

-Sven