• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck stepped mast location

seanflinn

Inactive Member
I am about ready to re step the mast on my e 35 2 I had to rebuild/re-enforce the original mast step due to a major crack. I dont know under what condition this crack ocurred, but I am pretty certain that the repair is 100%. Since the crack had let in (who knows how many years of water) I had to remove the entire original step, some core along with a peice of rusty black iron. To make a long story short, the new step is singnificantly larger and stronger but the reference point of the original step is long since gone. Should I center the mast between the chainplates on the centerline of the deck? or should I move the mast forward 1/2"-1" to accomodate some rake.? Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if this would be a question for Mr. King Via. Martin? Thanks sean 1970 e 35 2 hull#124

Emerald

Well, it's gotta be centered between the chainplates.... So, why don't you look up the J for your boat, measure from the tang for the headstay at the deck back the distance of your J, and then you'll know where the face of the mast should be. Remember, this measurement is the front face/edge of the mast, not the center of the mast. Any issues regarding rake, are independent of where the shoe should go.