• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Sprocket Replacement

jreddington

Member III
The Yacht Specialties steering pedestal sprocket on my '84 E-28 has some damaged teeth so that the steering has a kink in it while the chain passes over those damaged teeth.

I remember discussions here years ago about finding replacements. I believe the general consensus was that there were no spare parts available and that Edson components were not compatible.

While I would love a new Edson pedestal, I'd hate to spend big $s to replace the whole system. I had it re-powder-coated a few years ago and other than the sprocket, the system is in great shape.

Has anyone found replacements for Yacht Specialties parts, either a stash of old spares or a shop that can reproduce the part? Also, I thought there was a post of how to modify an Edson sprocket to fit the Yacht Specialties pedestal.

Tried some post searches on this site but couldn't track down old threads I thought I ran across a few years ago.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Jim, a good local machine shop shoud be able to weld on new teeth and then machine them to match. Much cheaper than a completely new Edson setup.

BTW, if you replace the entire unit, I would be glad to buy the old one.