• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Barient ST27

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Lookin at some winch options here. I may be looking for a new or 2 new primary's. One has a worn (scored shaft) and rattles a bit when taking up sheet slack real fast. I noticed the scoreing when servicing last year and have just put up with it's noisey fuction until last weekend when it almost seemed to stick or seeze a few times with some real ugly noises. I will pull the drum tonight and inspect but am afraid of what I will problably find. Perhaps lack of maintenance from a PO has caused this but who knows.

The other winch sounds and works just fine and appeared to be in great condition when I had it apart last year.

So.... thinking the worst case, time to spend the big $$! It would be great to find another used but functional Barient ST27 to match however the chance of that is probably slim at best. Hate the thought of what I may go through for the installation of new winches.

I appears from previous threads here that Anderson's may have the quality that we should be getting.

Any feedback on this would be helpful. Thanks,

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Winch update.

I lucked out, the self tailing arm must have gotten bent down a fraction of an inch so the "finger" that rides real close to the drum was rubbing on the drum. I was able to slighly bend the arm a tad and all is well now on the serious part. Inspected all the inerds and re-greased appropriate pieces.

However, the drum itself still has some side to side play in it and will "rattle" when pulling in slack fast on the sheet. I am sure that with age the main spindle and roller bearings have worn over the years.

Is it possible to use new or oversized bearings in an effort to get rid of the slop until I get some of that stimulus money?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I saw a pair of Barient ST winches at Boaters Resale Shop in Kemah, TX a few months ago. I believe they were 27's. Not cheap; I think they were priced at $500 ea.

With all the boats destroyed by the hurricanes I was surprised to not find more winches available secondhand.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kim, I had the same problem with mine and went through all the same symptoms of denial!

My drums were worn and not evenly so oversize bearings were not possible. I also tried buying used but found they had the same issue even though they were described "as new".

So I waited all winter until Defender put the Harkins on sale and bought 2 Chrome plated bronze 46-2ST winches to replace the Barients.

You can have all the parts of my old ones for the cost of shipping if you want.