• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25cb Cockpit Sole Hatch

Joe

Member II
I have an E25CB without an inboard. The space under the cockpit sole currently only houses the water tank and battery box. Access is via a small door under the cabin steps. I'm considering ripping out the water tank/battery box and installing an access hatch or two in the cockpit sole. I'll figure out where to relocate the battery box and new water tank later.

Can anybody point me to some information on how this may affect the structural intergrity of the boat? Also, will such unthinking weight re-distribution have a very detrimental effect on the boat's sailing characteristics? I don't ever intend racing: just cruising the peaceful by-ways of the Great Lakes.

I need something unobtrusive but watertight. The Tempress plastic hatch is affordable whereas the Bomar hatches are aluminum and much more expensive. Has anyone installed Tempress hatches for use in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Joe

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Joe~ Why do you want to do that? Make the access panel under the steps larger for ease of use. Move your batteries to another location and you will have all that area for storage.

Joe

Member II
Rob:

I'm (let's be frank) of rotund shape: reaching the transom end from the cabin will involve much huffing and puffing.

Also, I have some vague cabinetry plans for the area where the steps currently hang out - too vague to attempt a more detailed description.

Lastly, I'm hoping to also occasionally use the hatch as a live well when fishing - see this.

Glyn Judson

Cockpit sole access hatch.

Joe, For different reasons, I fitted a Bomar Almag hatch http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,414.html?gclid=CLDN_uTPgJ0CFRZeagod_waiag, P/N Bom-C41524 in my cockpit sole. These are massively built yet not necessarily all that heavy. The mounting ring accepts 14, 1/4-20 fasteners resulting in a hatch that probably ends up stronger than the original sole and since fitting that hatch to our boat, at least two other E31 owners have done the same. I bought mine on eBay for a fraction of the original cost. On a hunch, I just checked eBay and found this smaller round one that expires in about an hour, 330360413696. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Joe~ Im a fat ass too and I completely understand what you mean,,,,,, but I think youre about to make a mistake. Cutting a hole in a perfectly solid floor is not what you should be doing to add storage space. Honestly what do you think you will be able to store thru one of those hatches? Out of sight out of mind objects is all that you can store there. If you are going to engineer shelving under the steps, engineer a way to make it on a hinge to swing out to give access to the "big guy" hole that you cut. Leave one of those grabber tools in there to grab the can of pork and beans.:egrin: