• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Number Location

EY271975

I recently purchased a 1971 ericson 27 im restoring and i cant find the hull number. Its been painted before, can someone tell me where the exact spot is so i can try to find it.:confused:

Thanks,
Blaine H.

Attachments

• Picture 692.jpg
    Picture 692.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Emerald

look at the top starboard side of the transom. Check the top right corner just an inch or two down from the toe rail and right by the outboard starboard edge.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Hull Number location.

Blaine, It might be that in 1971 hull numbers were not USCG required and that only some time a few years later that they were mandated to be on the transom. Others reading this and more knowledgeable than I can zero in on the year the change was made. That said, there are several possible locations to find your hull number. The place to check would be your hull number stamped on your bronze rudder head or the bronze plate that surrounds it. It may even read 27-XXX but then maybe just the hull number. The second possibility is that you might see it written on the underside of a drawer or plywood access cover such as can be found in the V-berth. The last, the number might be on your main sail on the chance it's the original. Our previous boat, an Ericson 25+ had the hull number in felt marker on the underside of several pieces of plywood and on the sail as well. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Blaine,
Note that your "hull number" and the HIN are not identical.
The hull number is usually the sail number and everything that Glyn sez is true about clues to that.
IF the HIN was indeed originally impressed into the original gel coat on the upper transom, there is a chance that a second HIN was also placed on a fiberglass molded part somewhere inside -- usually out of everyday sight. Sometimes on a motor bed log, sometimes on the rear portion of a quarterberth top, or ??

Happy hunting,
Loren

EY271975

Hull # found

Thanks the number on the bronze tiller plate matched the main.:egrin:

1971 ERICSON 27 Hull # 44

-Blaine H.-

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My E-27 is a 1973 and the HIN is located about 2.5" up from the bottom of the transom, dead center. My E-27 is a 1973 and the HIN is located about 2.5" up from the bottom of the transom, dead center. I am guessing this is because of the spilt aft stay.

Attachments

• P1010002_7.jpg
    P1010002_7.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Emerald

so this critter moved around quite a bit then - both my 31 and prior 27 were top right corner, as many other boats I've seen, but obviously, it isn't set. :unsure:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
1972 hin

My E27 is a 1972 with no HIN number on the hull. Its on the rudder plate. Hull #195.