• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop Comparisons, part two

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xwJkUfU6o&feature=channel

Current video of feathering and folding props tested by Yachting Monthly (UK). The rest of the article is in the magazine. I subscribe and do look forward to it each month, there being nothing to compare on this side of the pond.
The video lacks the written evaluations but it is nice to see some of competitors installed and how how they work.

LB

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can make a copy from the pages of the folded magazine article. I may give it a try later.
As magazines go they are a significant budget item for us, but there is a lot of good material in each issue. (IMHO)
http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/ym/home.htm

Here is their current subscription rate:

"Yachting Monthly subscription rates for USA
Three Years at $178.88 Normal Price = $238.50 save 24%
Two Years at $119.25 Normal Price = $159.00 save 25%
One Year at $59.63 Normal Price = $79.50 save 24%"

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now in digital form, but...

Just for fun, and to invest an hour...
I scanned all ten pages of the article from the May '09 issue. Besides the obvious legal issue of posting it up here, I find that each page (JPG format) is from 480 kb to 972 KB in size. Too large for the site anyway, and perhaps it's just as well.:rolleyes:
If you have a fast 'net connection and want a copy, send me your email addy and I will give you a look at it.

Strictly IMHO, this British magazine and its related publication Practical Boat Owner are both more useful to me most of the time than than the equally-costly PS.

Regards,
LB

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am purchasing a Variprofile for my E38. I looked at all the props while attending the Newport, RI boat show. The Variprofile is competitively priced, a little more than a Maxprop, but lower than an Autoprop, right in line with Gori, etc. The advantage of the Variprofile is adjustable pitch, forward and reverse while underwater. The second advantage is the prop bolts to a hub that attaches to the shaft. The prop assembly may be removed for service very easily underwater and comes fully assembled, ready to mount. Looking at the competition it also has the thinnest hub of all feathering props. Its a lot of coin but I am tired of crappy motoring performance and poor light air performance. Its also German made and since I'm a bit of a fan of German hardware, cars, etc. it makes sense. RT

Last edited: