• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Altenator heat

amadon light

Member II
New problems altenator shows 17/19 volts output and is exxxcisivley hot to touch new rebuild //had it tested and is 14.9 on the meter so///the voltage regulator is or appears to be electronic and associated with the converter system so i ve checked the fuses and all show good///appears to be an voltage regulator malfunction but how does one go about testing it or is it a possible short ///any testing or possible system check would be appreciated

Blue Heron

I would say it's not the alternator. So that leaves the regulator or the batteries. If the batteries are dead or dying they will absorb higher charging currents. Check the batteries with a load and capacity test. If the batteries check out then it's the regulator. Do you have a regulator bypass device. If so it could be malfunctioning or set too an improper setting. Another culprit might be a loose or corroded battery sensing wire. This would cause the regulator to allow maximum output. If the sensing wire appears to ok then it's definetly the regulator itself. Hope this helps. Gleaned most of this from Nigel Calder's Mechanical and Electrical Manual.

amadon light

Member II
Heat

Batts are new the reg appears to be intergrated within the inverter eletronicly i thought i might install a new regulator between the alt and the invertator to try and trick the unit and then check the output voltage do you think this will work?

Emerald

I'm a bit confused by the description of your setup. You mention an inverter - do you mean a 12V DC -> 120V AC device? If you've got a bunch of stuff wired in that's not part of the stock system, I'd disconnect it and restore the original connections and then see what voltages you had at rest and running and take it from there.

amadon light

Member II
Alt

The alt wires run to a junction box with a flat phone jack style harness going to the inverter the junction box has a label saying voltage regulator so i assume its an electronic regulator ,,,i dont see a regulator any where else i m operating on the shore power to charge the batts at present time but that limits elect use on the house system while away from the dock