• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shift cable

Glyn Judson

Shift cable source.

Loyd, That should or can be a standard Morse cable, red in color if Morse. After removing it, you'll see length markings stamped on the barrel of the cable at one end or the other. With that information you can get an exact replacement from most chandlers, in many cases right on the spot. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
How often....

Does anyone know how often a shift cable and throttle cable should be replaced, if there is no sign of cracking and they are working fine? I haven't done this before, but it doesn't look easy to thread the cables down the pedestal, under the fuel tank, etc.

Thanks,
Frank

amadon light

Member II
Shift

Frank if it s not broke you know the rest i got mine off today looking for replacement now yes it was inoperable it was a tough job to remove and i so look forward to the reinstallation (i ve already put the vodka on ice ) checked and my valium bottle is half full so i m ready when the part arrives hey lets buy a boat and have the time of our lives heheheh!!!!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Well good luck in replacing it! But I really don't want to be stuck somewhere and have it break or get stuck on me, yet I don't want to replace it unnecessarily. Does anyone know their average lifespan? How can one tell if it's needing replacement before it snaps, other than that it gets stiffer to operate?

I do periodically try to spray a lubricant into the top end at the pedestal, hoping it may run down between the cable and the housing cover--is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Any other thoughts?

Frank

amadon light

Member II
cable lube

this is the best maintance practice you can do as for replacement time its more like is it oem and if there are no hard spots (drag point)tjhere is probably little wear yearly lubrication and make sure to grease the quick releaseat the engine side of those csbles i find that the cable kinks or the slide tube at the engine connection gives up thats where to inspect routinely like when i ckeck the oil just a quick look can prevent a future failure good look

u079721

Contributing Partner
Replace every five years

Does anyone know how often a shift cable and throttle cable should be replaced, if there is no sign of cracking and they are working fine? I haven't done this before, but it doesn't look easy to thread the cables down the pedestal, under the fuel tank, etc.

Thanks,
Frank

If you do a search on gear cable you'll find a thread I started some years ago describing how the gear shift cable on my 38 snapped while in use. After jury rigging a repair and limping home from the cruise I found out two important things. First, the factory messed up the installation on many of the boats, bending the cables through much too tight an arc, directly leading to the failure of the cable. And second, Nigel Calder suggests we replace the throttle and gear cables every FIVE years. He goes on to suggest that you keep the used set aboard as spares.

In my case I replaced both cables after re-routing them to have less of a bend, and then bought a third new one to keep as a spare, since I didn't trust the old one that was still good.

As for replacing them, it isn't really that hard to do. What IS hard is figuring out HOW to do it. Took me all afternoon to replace the first set, but I bet I could have replaced them a second time in well under an hour once I learned the tricks.

Matey

Member III
Teleflex cables

I had Sea & Power in New Jersey make and ship me a 6400 Series
(5/16" w/ 8" travel) shifter cable for my A4. It was half the price of some quotes I got here in Ca. and I found them very knowledgable and easy to work with. The heavier cables seem to be a bit harder to find. They had it to me within the week. :nerd:
Sea & Power is a Teleflex Drealer and makes them up in house. I'm not associated with them .. just a happy customer.
The catalog says my cable can take an 8" radius, but mine looks and feels pretty tight at about a 2' bend.
http://www.sealandpower.com/Controls & Steering/Control Cables & Fittings(9).pdf

Regards, Greg