• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bilge pump issue

sailorjdh

Member I
I have a Rule three way switch with indicator light on my DC panel for the bilge pump and a float switch in the bilge on my 1989 Ericson 38.
The float switch when lifted will activate the pump but when the dc panel is switched to manual I get an indicator light but no pump activity.Any ideas what would be the problem? Thanks.

Jeff Hart
Sweet Surrender.

bilge or shower pump?

My '87 has 1 of these switches, but it runs the shower sump pump, not the bilge pump. The manual side of the switch is spring-loaded, I have to hold it to run the pump.
You'd need to have a 2nd wire - from the manual side of the switch - to the same side of the pump as the wire from the float switch. Is this wire live at the pump end when you hold down the switch? Now back up to the switch itself. Is the output side live when you hold down the switch? These answers should tell you where the problem lies. Most likely a bad switch or a corroded connection.
Now you have a reason that you MUST spend the holiday weekend at your boat.:egrin:

sailorjdh

Member I
thanks for the help

Thanks Gary
I do plan to be on the boat this weekend and your suggestions will be very helpful I suspect it is the switch. I have a shower sump float switch and separate pump (mounted on the engine compartment starboard bulkhead ). I don't have a three way switch for the shower sump it is activated on the dc panel by turning the water pressure on.I am guessing that the shower sump is also separately wired to the battery as a secondary bilge in case ( heaven forbid ) of rising water.
Thanks again.
Jeff Hart