• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine Link 5000 Instruments

Bob Cole

Member I
Does anyone have experience with this unit? My wind direction indicator needs adjustment. On a S/B tack I read 60 degrees off the wind when close hauled and about 10-15 degrees off the wind on a Port tack close hauled. Is there a way to adjust it or am I going to have to send it to DMI Marine? I'm also not too sure my wind speed reading are accurate. Appreciate any help you ca give me.
Bob Cole
E-34 (1987)
Sundance

TorMar

Member II
Bob,
I still have the original manual for the instruments and there's a procedure in there for "resetting" the wind angle calibration.
If it would help you I could try to scan and post it for you. I'm leaving for three weeks to Africa tomorrow, so likely won't be able to do that until I return.
I don't know how much luck you'll have with DMI. I've been trying to get a masthead unit rebuild kit from them for four months now. Four phoncalls after the order was placed, once told the original order was misplaced, twice assured it would be shipped personally that day, once told it had been shipped were patent untruths. It appears they don't want to ship parts, but are not willing to tell you that. Pretty discouraging service!!!

Tor

TorMar

Member II
Bob,
Regarding your wind speed accuracy, the anemometer shaft bushing is likely worn out, and the shaft holding the cups is oscillating in the bushing, allowing the plastic housing of the cups to touch the sides of the anemometer housing, causing friction and incorrect wind speed.
I've got my unit apart on my workbench and that was the obvious problem I had with wind speed as well. I am waiting, though now not very hopefully, for the rebuild kit containing mother board and bushings, as well as anemometer shaft. See post above re DMI.
Tor

Bob Cole

Member I
Thanks for the input. In the fall when my mast comes down I'll see what I find. I will not look to DMI for much help. I have a friend with a Navman unit that is failing also, maybe we'll try for a volume price for replacements.

sailingdeacon

Member III
The directin adjustment is done by inserting a small screwdriver into the small hole on the master station. I dont recall the wording there but it has to do with wind. Turning it left or right will cause an adjustment of about one degree per second. You should hear a beeping sound like a clock. Turn back to the center to stop the movement. It is a bit tricky since it is easy to go too far back the other way rather than the center.

I was told that the direction is the last failure, with the speed being the first to fail. Left too long unrepaired the direction will then fail and might not then be repairale. DMI will repair the unit if needed. I have had to send mine in twice for repair in 8 years.

There is no wind speed adjustment. When mine began to fail, it would simply stop in light wind but it would work ok in higher wind speeds. So I would guess you have a simply solution.

I cant recall the cause, but once the direction got way off... I even heard the beeping as it went. Maybe an electrical issue??

Also be sure to check the wires connected to the master station. Over time they will fray and become loose or off. I think that may have been the problem with mine getting way off.

TorMar

Member II
DMI came through.

I posted earlier that I had not received the Mast Head Anemometer rebuilt kit from DMI by the time we went on vacation three weeks ago. I am really pleased to let everyone know that DMI delivered on their promise to send me a unit. It awaited us here upon our return.
I am very, very pleased!!! It is a job that most of us long term boat owners could tackle, and the price is right. I will have a properly workin, plug in Mast head unit again for the parts cost of $100. My faith in DMI is restored.
Thank you Steven and others at DMI.

Tor