• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bruce King's latest design?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Not exactly a sailboat, but rather a 151 foot motor yacht Sycara IV.

http://www.ybw.com/ibinews/newsdesk/20090721154638ibinews.html

Burger_151_Sycara-IV_1-thumb-450x305.jpg

No mention of cost....but if you have to ask.......

Attachments

• burger-sycara-iv-trial.gif
    burger-sycara-iv-trial.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 381
Last edited by a moderator:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hmmm....

I hate to say this about such a talented designer but I'm not that impressed. It looks like it should have a mast. Guess they all can't be as nice as Ericsons.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Oh I don't know - a challenge is a challenge (and a commission a commission). I would think that naval architecture is like any other kind of architecture in that a client wants something and it's up to you to figure out how to deliver it.

In this case, looks like the client was interested in something resembling (in my view) J. Pierpoint Morgan's Corsair IV - but with modern specifications and efficiencies.... Personally, I like the look of the old Boeing boats from the 1920s - but of course, I could not afford them either, so....

:egrin:

//sse

Attachments

• IMG_000cs3.jpg
    IMG_000cs3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I hate to say this about such a talented designer but I'm not that impressed. It looks like it should have a mast

Actually it was supposed to have 2 masts. They got some preliminary
drawings out of him, and took it from there. The final product doesn't
resemble his work at all.

Martin

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Actually it was supposed to have 2 masts. They got some preliminary
drawings out of him, and took it from there. The final product doesn't
resemble his work at all.

Martin

Martin, how much did the design of yachts like the Corsair play into it? Was that just a popular style from that period that was drawn upon, or was it something more (I guess what I'm asking is how much is left from the original design)?

//sse

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Sean,

The concept for this fan tail style yacht is certainly borrowed from
past yachts like Corsair. It was supposed to be a modern rendition
of that style. Unfortunately after the preliminaries were done, it was
handed off to someone else and things changed so much so that it
bears little resemblance to the drawings I saw, yet his name is still
attached to it. If you ever read the Fountainhead, this is exactly
what happens to Howard Roark. I can't blame him for wanting to
retire.

Martin

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Hi Sean,

The concept for this fan tail style yacht is certainly borrowed from
past yachts like Corsair. It was supposed to be a modern rendition
of that style. Unfortunately after the preliminaries were done, it was
handed off to someone else and things changed so much so that it
bears little resemblance to the drawings I saw, yet his name is still
attached to it. If you ever read the Fountainhead, this is exactly
what happens to Howard Roark. I can't blame him for wanting to
retire.

Martin

Yes, and of course, we all know what Howie decided to do...but we won't go there.... :rolleyes:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zc7oZ9yWqO4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zc7oZ9yWqO4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

//sse

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
Oh I don't know - a challenge is a challenge (and a commission a commission). I would think that naval architecture is like any other kind of architecture in that a client wants something and it's up to you to figure out how to deliver it.

In this case, looks like the client was interested in something resembling (in my view) J. Pierpoint Morgan's Corsair IV - but with modern specifications and efficiencies.... Personally, I like the look of the old Boeing boats from the 1920s - but of course, I could not afford them either, so....

:egrin:

//sse

Being married to a retired Architect, I totally agree with you Sean, clients do change their minds, sometimes quite often to the despair of their architects....

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Being married to a retired Architect, I totally agree with you Sean, clients do change their minds, sometimes quite often to the despair of their architects....

I would agree with that - Seattle is dotted with plenty of those buildings - wonderful when conceived; horrid when executed...

//sse