• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rear Control

shevrin

Being new to sailing, we recently purchased a 1974, 29 foot Ericson. It has an Atomic 4, gasoline motor that has less than 20 hours on the rebuild. There is not much control or power to rear. What can I do? Do I need a new prop?

bhevrin

ChrisS

Member III
Once you get momentum in reverse, are you able to then steer? If so, that's normal. If in a wide open space you can't get any reverse--like after a minute or so, and this will include some movement to port, despite your best efforts--go over to the Moyer site and read about the reverse gear adjustment. You may need to get more engagement in reverse.

I switched over to the Indigo prop and it did make a noticable difference. I have more manuverability in reverse, and more thrust in forward. The boat does six kts. without the engine breaking a sweat. Still, with my old 12x6 two blade prop I did have reverse--with noticable prop walk--once I got the boat moving backwards.

The only downside to the Indigo prop is that it focuses more concentrated current over the rudder, which makes steering a more sensitive endeavor going forward at higher RPM's.

shevrin

Appriciation and Question

ChrisS,

Thank you for your advise. Can you give me more info on the Indigo Prop?

bhevrin