• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Table using Starboard(tm) material

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I would like to show some pictures of the drink holder and cockpit table we made for our 381.
We used 1/2 inch thick Starboard(tm) because it is impervious to the marine enviroment.
There are two winch handle holders made out of Starboard(tm) on the pedestal legs also.
No holes were drilled in the pedestal guard.

Attachments

• 08-24-09_1839_r1.jpg
    08-24-09_1839_r1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 08-24-09_1834.jpg
    08-24-09_1834.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 08-24-09_1836.jpg
    08-24-09_1836.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 08-24-09_1837.jpg
    08-24-09_1837.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 08-24-09_1838.jpg
    08-24-09_1838.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Nice work Gary. Although my table is an Edson teak table, I also made a drink holder out of starboard. You can give yours a nice finished look by cutting some bungs to fill the screw holes. Nice work on the winch handle holders too.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Starboard bungs can be made but are a bit of a pain in the neck. To get the Starboard texture on the bung, you have to cut some of the board very thin on a table saw and use the plug cutter on this thin stuff. I installed close to 50 of them on a coaming board replacement project three years ago and to my surprise not a single one has fallen out. But they were each 3/4" in diameter. (Finding a plug cutter of that size was a whole project in itself.)

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
We made the drink holder last fall. It was quite simple and I used some cheap plywood to make the template. The only tricky part was to measure the distance between the guard legs EXACTLY and to shape the attaching holes so the drink holder snaps into place, and then is through bolted. This summer I made the table and thought long and hard to make the attachment simple and strong. The table is shaped like the cockpit floor - ie: the front is 1.5" narrower than the back. A router was used to break all of the edges 1/8".

P Abele

Member II
Great job. Looks very similar to the HDPE cockpit tables made by Edson.

We purchased the table and drink holder from Edson about 5 seasons back and love them. One thing I really like is having them separate we can only use the one we need - like the drink holder on race night, and they are both very easy to remove and store below so they stay clean. A great update!

ref_123

Member III
Wow!

Hi Gary,

the table looks great! 2 questions:

1) is the support made of SS tube or rode? And did you bend it yourself?
2) Any chance (wink, wink) you can share the blueprints?

Regards,
Stan

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Stan,
There were no blue prints. I made a template for the drink holder and copied the cockpit floor angles for the table. The fiddles are 1 inch high.
I bent the brace myself and the important issue there is careful measuring.