• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

St4000+ Raymarine Wheel pilot problem installing bearing cage

thevans

Member I
We hit heavy sea's a month ago, somehow the wheel pilot got engaged and the wheel was turned resulting in the drive ring cracking and breaking, ball bearings popped out everywhere. I have gone through the owners handbook and can't figure out how to get the bearings into their cage and then into the drive ring. First way I tried it was installing the drive ring onto the side that attaches to the wheel , but there is no way to keep the back of the wheel on tightly . So next I tried putting the bearing cage with bearings inserted (used grease to hold them there, but can't get the drive ring over it without ball bearings being squeezed out everywhere. Plastic drive chain goes over the drive ring fine. Any ideas on how to put together would be so appreciated.

thevans

Member I
I figured it out. Wheel pilot ST 4000+

The key was to place the drive ring into the back of the wheel next, install the rubber chain and finally the bearings into the area between the inner wheel and drive ring. The key was this install ball bearings in first then carefully click in the bearing cage.

After 3 hours and four sail guys on the dock looking at it no one could figure it out. I slept on the problem last night and woke up figuring lets try it this way.

You never know someone else may encounter the same problem.
FYI the drive ring will break if the clutch is engaged and someone try's to turn the wheel. It isn't a stock item from Raymarine it took a month to get.

Thanks