• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wet Cabin Sole

richwilson

Member I
Well guys, I need some advice on drying out the cabin sole in my E31. I had an unfortunate "hatch open while using the hose" situation, and water got into the cabin, and is between the wood veneer of the sole and whatever is under it. I REALLY don't want to tear out the wood sole, so does anyone know how I can dry it out without major boat surgery?

EGregerson

Member III
sole

how old is the sole? was it sealed at all? if it's fairly new it might resist water intrusion ok, assuming you got the water/moisture out pretty quick; otherwise....???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hatches open, box fan (s) on high setting....
Remove any sole access plates for max circulation, too.

Presuming that you have gotten out all possible water with sponges and rags. At least is was fresh water.
Heck, we once watched the fore hatch gulp in about 5 gallons from a tug boat wake that was unexpectedly steep, on the river here.... took us a day to dry out cushions, rugs, etc. :)
Nowadays we dog that hatch when under way!

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Drying out the cabin sole.

Rich, Loren hit it right on the head, open everything up and let it air dry. The weather currently is almost the best for that so don't worry and let her dry on her own. I'm very familiar with your boat as it spent several years two slips away from me and I spent many pleasant hours working on her with the owner back then. GLyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

richwilson

Member I
Rich, Loren hit it right on the head, open everything up and let it air dry. The weather currently is almost the best for that so don't worry and let her dry on her own. I'm very familiar with your boat as it spent several years two slips away from me and I spent many pleasant hours working on her with the owner back then. GLyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA
Thanks, I'll try that. I've been getting more concerned about it because it has been a few weeks and it is still wet. What happened was I had the portlight over the hanging locker open while I was hosing something down from the other side, and didn't even realize it. The water went into the hanging locker, and straight down a seam in the sole, right between the wood and the substrate. I may also try a space heater to "bake" it out a bit. Does anyone know what the substrate is made of?

Emerald

If you open the center locker under the V-berths and look down, I believe you'll see that the sole of our boats under the teak and holly is just a standard sole with non-skid molded into it like you might see on something like an E-27.

I think all the other advice on just getting air moving through will do you fine for drying it all out.

richwilson

Member I
If you open the center locker under the V-berths and look down, I believe you'll see that the sole of our boats under the teak and holly is just a standard sole with non-skid molded into it like you might see on something like an E-27.

I think all the other advice on just getting air moving through will do you fine for drying it all out.
So, the wood sole is just screwed down directly into the fiberglass beneath?

Glyn Judson

Hull stiffener.

Rich and all, Sorry about that I should have proofed my note. I meant it to read TAFG or Tri Axial Force Grid. Later Ericsons had them to stiffen the hull but Marty or someone else wiser on the subject will have to chime in regarding the start date. Suffice it to say that our E31's didn't have it. Here are a few Googled references to the system: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?p=28715 http://www.sailingmagazine.net/boat-test/437-ericson-380 http://www.dyzy.com/haha/standard_equipment.htm Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

richwilson

Member I
Hey guys, thought I would bump this thread because I found (and fixed) the cause of the wet sole! Maybe if anyone else gets the same problem, this will help out. Turns out the sole actually was drying out fine, but when I used the boat, it would get wet again. After doing some process of elimination on where water could possibly be entering, I discovered it was from the icebox. The icebox drains into the bilge, with a spout that emerges under the galley sink, and actually spouts right by the footpumps for the galley water. After pouring several cups of water into the icebox drain, I was still stumped because it poured right down into the bilge. But, after a bit of thought, I tried pouring some water at a VERY slow trickle (like melting ice), and at that rate, it trickled down the bottom of the spout, along the bulkhead, and straight down in between the sole and the underlayment. So, I caulked that area, and set up a catch pan for the water, figuring I don't want that stuff in the bilge anyway. Several months of headache, less than $1 fix!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
"Several months of headache, less than $1 fix! "

You've got to love that. I had a leak from a cockpit scupper over the quarter berth in my E27. It took months to track it down; replaced the scuppers, installed a sealing hatch at the steering quadrant access and re-bed anything that might possibly leak in that area, still leaked in a heavy rain. Turned out it was the lack of weather strip in the port lazerette. $5, two minutes and it's never leaked since.