• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

replace gas with diesel

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'd be hesitant to switch to an outboard on a small boat if you are ever going to motor in steep chop. My 27 had an outboard on it when I bought it (the seized A4 had just been removed). I knew that I was going to repower with electric so I figured the outboard would be fine temporarily. In most conditions it was safe, but in steep chop the prop would come out of the water then the head of the motor would get submerged - over and over. Very scary. If you can keep your prop under the boat (inboard), do it. Another issue I had with the outboard was the prop coming out of the water when someone walked to the bow - like when you are coming into a harbor!!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Wow, there are a lot of IF's in this one:

-If the used Volvo is in good condition.
-If you have the skills to install the new engine by yourself.
-If the Volvo has similar specs to the gasser.
-If you have the time and funds to complete the project.

Etc, etc.

Can you rebuild an engine? Have you done it? How many times? Do you have the tools? Its hard to comment on another persons skill set but you had better understand the gravity of this project. Its pretty much as deep as you can get into tearing a sailboat apart. Depending on your boating use you may be the perfect candidate for an electric repower.

RT

Emerald

Hhhmmmm,

many times over the years I hear that rebuilding a gas engine is "easy", but don't dare touch a diesel. I've never understood this. Barring the injection pump on a diesel, if you're a competent mechanic, there is no reason why you can't also rebuild a diesel. You either measure clearance correctly or you don't. You torque things in proper sequence or you don't. You understand how to assemble pieces or you don't. But honestly, bolting a bottom end together, adjusting rocker arms etc. is basically the same. So, if you're experienced rebuilding engines, have the proper manuals and tools, there isn't any reason you can't rebuild a diesel, but do take the injection pump to a pro if you're not setup to do this.

Sven

Seglare
Hi David,

So, if you're experienced rebuilding engines, have the proper manuals and tools, there isn't any reason you can't rebuild a diesel, but do take the injection pump to a pro if you're not setup to do this.

I have no personal diesel re-build experience and can only paraphrase Calder's admonition 'don't try to service the injectors, you will only make it worse'. You may be right that it is only the "right" tools and manuals that are needed but he sure scared me off when rattling off the tolerances.

If you are right I'll be very happy :)

-Sven

Emerald

Hi Sven,

yes on the injectors (don't service yourself) just as I would say stay out of the pump. There is enough pressure in this stuff to blow a hole through your finger. Unless you do it for a living, the tools to work on the pumps and injectors are going to cost more than would make sense for a one time job - leave the fuel system to the pros, but that's another thing, if given a nice filtered supply of good diesel, you should get long service from these items. But for basic maintenance and rebuild, go ahead and pull the valve cover and adjust the clearances on the rockers etc. If you had to do a rebuild and are experienced rebuilding engines, just divide the work up just like you would on any engine e.g. you're not likely to grind the valve seats yourself, so the head goes off to the machine shop while the injection pump and injectors can go to the appropriate shop. At this point, it's just another engine. :egrin:

chaco

Member III
Cost of the Parts

When I looked at ReBuilding the old M4-30 Diesel the Parts alone was $4K.
The Total Price from the Shop was $6K.
Purchased the NEW Beta 902 Engine and Tranny for $8K ;)