• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to Run a New Main Halyard

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I need some help. My main halyard needs to be replaced, and I want to run the new one with the old one so it will load into the mast without any fuss. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best way of doing this?

Thanks,

Bob Ells

Member I
Sean, Simplest way I can think of would be to pull a messenger in to the mast by attaching it to the bitter end of the old halyard. Attach the bitter end of the new halyard onto the messenger and pull it back through. Hope this helps. Bob Ells

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sure - but I was wondering if there is a best or preferred way of attaching it (that others have done)?

I was thinking about sewing it - but I hate to breach the core of the new line with the needle...

It was suggested from the Ericson list that I use hot glue - but I hate to put glue goo on the new line.

The best thing that I could think of was (God forgive me) duct tape. I was thinking of a single or double long spiral of duct tape would allow the line to bend, and not create a big bulge that would get caught anywhere inside the mast...

Jerry Griffith

Sean, I use duct tape all the time and it works great. I take all my halyards out every winter and run a messenger line in and in the spring I run my halyards back in. Never had a problem.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Excellent! That's just what I wanted to hear! I'll give the duct tape a go then - thanks!

Tom Smith

Member I
Re: New Halyard

Sean -

I've also been thinking about replacing the halyard on my '75 E-27. Assuming that what ever attachment method you use will probable mess up the bitter end, I was planning to cut off the last foot or so after the new halyard was installed. Based on that, I would think that the hot glue method was better because a long section of duct tape would make a stiff section that might have problems going around the sheave at the top of the mast.

I currently have a braided-to-wire halyard. Assuming I use the same size as the current braid, does anyone have a recommendation for Brand name? I'm using both Sta-set and Samson for other control lines.

Thanks,

Tom Smith

Richard Davis

I want to change halyards on my 30-1. They are wire to rope at the moment, do I need to change sheaves if I want all rope halyards.
Thanks in advance Richard Davis

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Changing Wire to Line to Line Only

I'm not sure about the 30-1, but I just had a rigger on my boat on Wednesday, and he told me that the original sheaves that Ericon used were maxed with the original line.

So, I would say (although you should check with other 30-1 owners) that you can do it as long as you stay with the same diameter line (my situation).

Do you have your specification docs for the 30-1 running rigging? If you do, you'll have your answer....

And, you do, can I please get a copy of your docs for the docs section of this site?

Thanks,

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update on Replacing the Halyard

I finally replaced the halyard today - and ended up sewing the end of the existing one to the end of the new one and just pulling it through. It was very easy.

I ended up doing this because the rigger who went up the mast a couple of weeks ago said that there was very little room above the sheeve, etc - and the outline of the two ends sewn together was a better option (I wanted to remove any possibility of jams, etc).

I stand corrected!

Thanks,
//sse

edwardgato

Replace halyard

Hi Sean,

I did the same thing last week by sewing the two halyards end to end. It was easier than I thought it would be. :egrin:

Rhynie

Member III
I have used line from Cajun Trading and been very satisfied with it; they are an online source.