• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Throttle Control E32-200

Brian K

Member III
I know I'm not the only one using a bungee to hold the throttle open on my E32-200 (with Edson steering pedestal, Universal M25XP engine). Does anyone have a cure for keeping the throttle in the full position? There is a screw inside the pedestal that I originally thought was a tension adjustment, but upon further inspection it appears only to keep the axle of the throttle lever in place. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Glyn Judson

Q: What's better than a bungee? A: The right part for the job.

Brian, Morse makes what they call a cable brake specifically designed to solve your problem, it's their part number 44386. If you have trouble finding one locally, the Ships Store (310.823.5574) right here in Marina del Rey CA has one in stock priced at $22.15, I just called there to check. They take phone orders and will ship. When I had that very same problem, I first tried the bungee and then a small stainless marine U-clamp. All that did was to crush the outer cover and destroy the inner cable necessitating the purchase of another entire cable and they ain't cheap as I recall. So learn from my mistakes and get the right part for the job the first time. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jon Anton

Throttle brake

There is a friction screw for the throttle cable inside the steering pedestal, right underneath the compass. Edson shows a picture and drawing on there website, under tech support. Document number 99396, page 2 and 7.
I changed my cables last year, and discovered that the housing for the throttle and gear shift was mounted UPSIDE DOWN!(?) The friction screw was underneath, and the PO had mounted a separate (crushing) clamp on the cable close to the engine. Things were mounted RIGHT (side up!), and the friction works fine. The guys at Edson were superb in their tech support.
Good luck, and fair winds.

Jon Berge
32-200 # 824

EGregerson

Member III
Throttle

Jon is right; Ted R noted this on his a year or 2 ago in a post; I was having the same problem with slipping throttle; mine as well was up side down.

Brian K

Member III
Glyn, thanks for the info on the Morse cable brake. I may end up following that route if I don't have an adjustment.

Jon, I can't wait to get to the boat this week and see if I have the throttle adjustment. I know there is a screw inboard of where the manual shows the throttle tension adjuster, and that screw extends into a slot in the throttle lever "axle". I don't believe that one is intended to be a friction adjustment. The manual shows a specific adjustor outboard of the screw. And I'll also be checking for a possible upside down installation of the top component.

Thanks everyone!

Mindscape

Member III
What about on a 32-3

Do you guys know if the same friction screw is in the pedestal for 32-3's with the Yacht Specialities pedestal? TIA!

Glyn Judson

Yacht Specialties friction screw.....not.

Frank, If your Yacht Specialties binnacle is anything like mine on our 1979 Ericson, and I see no reason to think otherwise, the answer is no there is no friction screw. That's why I bought and now use the Morse cable brake I mentioned previously. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Tom Greaves

Member I
Glyn,

Where did you install the brake, at the engine end or the pedestal end? Does it matter? I've got the same issue on my Universal 25.

Thanks,

Glyn Judson

Location of my cable brake.

Tom, I located my Morse cable brake in the center of the length of the cable. That's the easiest place for me given that I fitted a large Bomar hatch in the cockpit sole just like this one http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,131.htm that allows me to simply drop down in there and fiddle with the brake, etc. That said, if I were you, I'd be tempted to attach the brake to any accessible spot on the cable, I really don't think location makes much difference. Glyn

Brian K

Member III
Hey Jon, yes I found the very same thing you (and others) found,,, the top part of the Edson steering pedestal was mounted upside down! That places the friction bolt on the transmission side and no means of adding resistence to the throttle. Why in the world would Ericson do this? Certainly, my installation was factory and it sounds like other have found the same factory installation.

In addition, a PO had removed the standard Edson set screw that holds the throttle lever axle (shaft) in place, and replaced this screw with a longer one in an attempt to place resistance on the shaft. This modification was a good thought however it meant there was metal on metal and that doesn't work well for very long. Besides, access to this was difficult when the piece is installed upside down. I replaced this screw with one of the original length.

Flipping the top of the pedestal (the part with the transmission and throttle controls) is not a quick and easy project. Since the controls are not vertically symetrical you affect the geometry of each cable, specifically in my case the transmission cable. I ended up solving the problem by drilling a new hole (closer to the bottom of the fork) in the transmission cable fork and also adjusting the fitting on the end of the cable at the tranmission.

The end result is both controls work perfectly; now I have a friction control on my throttle and the resistence bolt is easy to reach once you remove the compass. It was great to remove the bungee after 2 years and have the throttle work the way it is supposed to work. Now I just need to remove the control decals from the pedestal and install new ones on the proper sides. All in all, this was well worth the time.