• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Anchor Locker Thru Deck

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,

I'm wanting to mount my anchor on the outside of my E29 bow pulpit and lead the anchor line into the front bow locker. However unless I use the front fresh air cowl opening, I will need to cut a hole and mount some sort of hardware or access port. Any ideas on how to do it and what kind of hardware or small access hatch that I might use? I'm thinking it would be pretty cheezy to run the anchor line down thru the cowl opening. I am an inland lake sailer and just want to anchor in a cove overnight and don't intend to mount a windlass.

Ideas or photos would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a photo of my bow deck area.

Attachments

• bow shot.jpg
    bow shot.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 222

HGSail

Member III
I have a deck pipe mounted where your cowling is and my windlass is behind that. I don't use any kind of vent for my chain locker, I just rinse the rode and let it dry on the deck before storing.

I can take pics this weekend.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

tyrguy

Member II
trying to do the same

we are going to do the same on our boat would love to see some pics of deck pipe and windlass although she says we are going to have to wait on that part(too much$$).
Our dock neighbor has a 27 with a deck pipe and a roller that is kind of what we would like but I would like to see it on a 29.

Gmilburn

Member III
Advice before I drill and cut

Hi all,

OK, I took the advice from the previous poster and bought a deck pipe ($20 on ebay) along with a anchor chain latch.

Now I'm ready to install and need some more advice.

Just as a reminder, I'm going to hang the anchor from the bow pulpit and store the anchor rode line in the bow locker. I only want to anchor out overnight, in a secluded cove on my inland lake--so will NOT invest in a windlass. I also am hesitant to mount an anchor roller and cut the lip off the deck.

I have laid out three possible alignments for the deck hardware. Lets call them #1 (both hardware pieces in the center of the deck), #2 (the deck pipe is centered and the anchor chain latch is offset), and #3 (both the deck pipe and chain latch are offset and pointed towards the starboard cleat).

Thoughts and advice? I want to get a few views before I drill and cut.

Second question--do I really need the chain latch? My local old salts are divided on whether I even need it (but of course, alcohol is always involved) so I take the value of the advice for what it cost me (nothing).

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'm unsure why you would need an anchor chain latch? Usually these are only needed if you are retaining the anchor in the bow roller? I would think that you could simply hang the anchor from the bow pulpit and lead the rode down the hawse pipe. The exposed chain will tend to move about a bit with or without the latch so I would opt to simply lash it down. Assuming you are planning a chain/line combination rode all the chain will be payed out and the line cleated off to one of the bow cleats. RT