• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got Design Questions?

bayhoss

Member III
Keel bolts

Hi Martin, If you get a chance could you ask your father the ft/lbs of torque that should be on the keel bolts of a 1986 28' with a sd keel?
BTW - I'm still smiling at the 1971 ad. And I'm sure that he has heard "thank you" at least one million times, would you please make it one million and one for me.
Best, and happy holidays,
Frank

escapade

Inactive Member
E34 w/wing keel

Martin;
Could you ask your dad about the wing keel used on the late model (1987+) E34's. I have one and am wondering if there is anything I could do to optimize it for distance racing (Bayview Port Huron to Mackinaw). Usually ends up about 50% kite work & 50% to weather. Will be doing the cruising class, w/A-sail cut for off wind & #1 on furler.

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
hollow in the bow of the 38

Martin

I just saw this thread and am curious about the hollow in the shape of the bow and the reasons for it. Your dad helped me many years ago with some questions I had on the boat. He was very helpful and it was a pleaure talking to him.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Martin, If you get a chance could you ask your father the ft/lbs of torque that should be on the keel bolts of a 1986 28' with a sd keel?
BTW - I'm still smiling at the 1971 ad. And I'm sure that he has heard "thank you" at least one million times, would you please make it one million and one for me.
Best, and happy holidays,
Frank

Links to some prior keel threads, and one has a bolt torque chart in it. I have heard a yard worker refer to using a four foot bar and putting some back into it... but have no idea whether that is "calibrated" enough. :)

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6472&referrerid=28

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=295&referrerid=28

LB

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Keel Bolts

Thanks Loren, I have a friend who suggested "bumping them" he tips the scale at 340# I come in at 180# his bump has more on it than mine. I think I'll use the link you provided. :egrin:

Happy Holidays!
Frank

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin

I just saw this thread and am curious about the hollow in the shape of the bow and the reasons for it. Your dad helped me many years ago with some questions I had on the boat. He was very helpful and it was a pleaure talking to him.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone else notices these things or cares for
that matter. The Ericson 38 has a slight hollow in the waterlines up
by the bow. I wondered why, and was told he just felt like drawing
them like that on that day. No particular reason.

Martin

davisr

Member III
E25 hull design

Hello Martin,

I have a question for your dad about the interior space of the E25. I have a centerboard model. At any rate, the E25 seems to have much more interior space than other 25 foot boats. I was told this by a former E25 owner before I bought mine, and have heard it many times since then, most recently from a fellow Charlestonian about a week ago.

I know from personal experience that the E25 has a much bigger feeling to it than the O'Day 25 and Catalina 25. I checked out these two types of boats on the same day that I checked out the E25 that I eventually bought. Those boats just didn't compare. Their main salons felt much smaller, even though they had quarter berths (which the E25 does not). When I walked forward towards the head and V-Berth in those boats, it felt as if I were walking into a wedge: the space became more and more tapered and cramped. I did not have this feeling on the E25.

I'm just wondering what it is about your dad's design of the E25 that allows for this generous space. Does it have something to do with what appears to be the unique hull shape of the boat (compared to the others). I don't know the proper terms I should use here, but what I'm talking about is the rounded bottom as opposed to the flatter bottom with a shoal keel.

Would love to have an answer to this one, so that I could give people a correct explanation rather than a speculative one.

Many thanks,
Roscoe

E25, cb, Hull 226

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Roscoe,

I think what you are responding to, is how a good naval architect
utilizes the available space. This becomes even more challenging
as the boat length shrinks down. His own Frog Princess, at 21
feet, has the same feel of snugness, yet somehow spacious
enough for the average human.

Martin

davisr

Member III
Martin,

Thanks for getting back in touch. In my humble opinion I would add that another sign of a good naval architect is the feel that the boat gives you when you step aboard. On that day when I visited those three boats, the E25 had a solid feel to it when I stepped aboard from the dock. The others did not. Moreover, when entering the cabin from the companionway, my first impression of the Ericson was that it had a feel of quality to it - nice mahogany woodwork, solid door to the head, and a full fiberglass hull-liner that trimmed everything out. The other boats, on the otherhand, just didn't measure up - lots o' laminate, and crumbling fabric/foam coverings for the hull instead of a liner. Definitely not in the same class as the Ericson. 35 years after she had been manufacturered, it was these qualities and the helpful advice of persons on this forum who convinced me that the Ericson was a quality product.

In terms of the hull design of the E25, I have a follow-up question. One of the features of the E25 cb that is different from other Ericsons (at least in the 23-27 foot range) is the somewhat pointed or nubbed tip that the bottom of the boat possesses. Instead of having an edge that is, say, 5-6 feet in length, as is the case with the E23 cb, the E25 comes to a point or nub. I can only think that since the E23 cb does not possess this nub, then there was some design consideration in play for the E25. Did this nub allow for more cabin space? Did the testing at the maritime laboratory determine that this shape allowed for more hull speed? These are some of the questions I have been wondering about ever since I had the boat hauled out in October and placed on the trailer. The boatyard workers in Oriental, NC where I had her hauled out had to use a good bit of lumber to get her situated correctly on the trailer. They acted as if it was a hull design they were not accustomed to. She's different, but she's sitting pretty now, and I really like her.

Thanks,
Roscoe

P.S. I have some pictures of her at the boatyard on the thread "E25 centerboard trailering weight." I've also attached a few drawings of the E23, E25, and E27 so that everyone can see what I'm talking about (how the E25cb design is different).

Attachments

• ericson_23-2_drawing.jpg
    ericson_23-2_drawing.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ericson_25_drawing.jpg
    ericson_25_drawing.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 87
  • ericson_27_drawing.jpg
    ericson_27_drawing.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 103

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
My understanding in reference to the "hollow' in the bow area was to help keep the bow from burying when heeled over going to windward.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My understanding in reference to the "hollow' in the bow area was to help keep the bow from burying when heeled over going to windward.

That certainly could be. And, I have heard, from unattributed sources over the decades, that some hollow to those sections will deflect spray out and down and keep the deck just a bit drier.
:confused:
Our first real boat, the Ray Richards-designed Ranger 20, had noticeable hollow there, too.
Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cockpit Location

Hi Martin,
Thanks again to you and your dad for all the helpful commentary and perspective here.
Apropos of nothing in particular, I got to looking at a nice (and very unaffordable) Morris Yachts center cockpit boat on their site. I would almost call it an aft-of-center center cockpit design. The main sheet traveler was right across the combing behind the helmsman, which looked quite usable, giving it end-boom sheeting.

Has your dad done any similar sort of sail boats? I do not recall any for Ericson, but I know he has a large portfolio of designs.

Thanks,
Loren

Attachments

• Morris_Yachts_B.jpg
    Morris_Yachts_B.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 466

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Loren,

The trouble with center cockpit designs is that it's difficult to come
up with something that doesn't look like a stacked up wedding cake.
That said, here's a center cockpit design my dad did that is a
beautiful solution. From dock level, much of her house is hidden by
the taffrail aft. As an aside, the hatches I built for my boat were
taken from drawings done for Saskianna.

saskianna.com

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I'll take one.

I watched the slide show and I do believe there is an E35-2 in one of the photos.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I noticed that also, dark blue hull. I tried to find a way to pause the slide show to get a better look but couldn't.

That sure is a gorgeous boat.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'll take one.

I watched the slide show and I do believe there is an E35-2 in one of the photos.

That's a good guess, but she looks to me to be a Hinckley Souwester,
probably a 42. Look carefully at the gold covestripe.

Martin

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
You are right about the reverse transom. Hmmm...not sure what it
is. Maybe it is an Ericson, hard to tell at that resolution.

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
If you enhance the image (I have some pretty good stuff for doing that) the fixed portlights appear rectangular. And maybe there isn't as much rake to the bow.

The LOD is about 5 time the length of the dinghy. So if that is 8+ft, she is 40+ft.

Very hard to tell, but I don't think she is a E35-2.

--Steve