• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got Design Questions?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I have a 1985 E30+ and feel that the boom sits too low. It literally comes just above my pedestal and I believe is designed for an E32 or E35. Has anyone else countered this problem and have you raised the boom and cut the mainsail down?
The 30+ did have a very low riding boom. Under sail it is not such an issue and at the dock you can raise the topping lift so that it sits high enough above the pedestal so as not to interfere with your cockpit enjoyment. But, you are not the first to have this concern. The simplest solution is to have your sailmaker shorten the leech a foot or so, which will raise the boom up (obviously). You will lose a little sail area but it might be worth it as this boat has plenty to begin with. Of course the typical 90 degree angle of the luff and foot will no longer be 90 degrees and the boom will always be up a bit higher than the tack, but this should not really cause any problems, and if you don't race seriously, it is a small price to pay. The other, more "complete" solution is to raise the gooseneck up 10-12". This will require a more involved recut of the mainsail (shortening the sail by taking this amount off the luff, so you will have a new tack patch and a new clew patch), but the geometry of the sail will remain correct, and of course the labor and materials to move the gooseneck. This will also cause a loss of sail area, affecting the light air performance a little, but again, the boat is quite powered up to begin with and if you sail where is always some breeze you might be happier. If your main is already well used, I would try shortening the leech first and see how you like it. If you do, and are bothered by the new boom angle, maybe raise the gooseneck at the same time you buy a new mainsail so it fits perfectly and the reefs remain in the correct locations. Have fun

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
A previous owner of our 30+ raised the boom about 8 inches and had a new sail made to fit. This moved the boom up enough to install a dodger. They also installed a gas shock vang/boomkicker which keeps the boom up and away unless you tighten the vang down against it.

Even so, with the vang fully on the boom is right in my face (I'm 6'1"), so I still have to worry about getting knocked in the head.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yes it's a low boom on the 30+ and have thought about raising the boom for all the obvious comfort reasons. Dodger clearance, and maybe even allow for a bimini of some type for cruising. I had a sailmaker suggest he could shorten the main from the head by widening the headboard and gain 6" . Norm what year and hull# is your boat ?

jav317

Member III
Vikings,

Ever wonder why the waterlines forward in the 38 are hollow?
Or why only 70 or so 31's were ever built?
I'm doing research on the history of Ericson and will be interviewing my
father about his 30 year relationship with that company. If you have
Ericson specific design questions, post them here, and I will do my
best to get the answers.

Martin
Hi Martin,
I'm a new owner of a 1990 32-200 and would like to know what your Dad likes most about this design and of course, what he would do differently?
I would be most interested in any modifications he would recommend, if any.
Thank you,
Joe

Norm

Member I
Yes it's a low boom on the 30+ and have thought about raising the boom for all the obvious comfort reasons. Dodger clearance, and maybe even allow for a bimini of some type for cruising. I had a sailmaker suggest he could shorten the main from the head by widening the headboard and gain 6" . Norm what year and hull# is your boat ?
Thanks for responding. My 1985 E35 (#695) has old sails and I plan to replace them and the standing rigging before next year's sail to Mexico. I believe raising the boom 12" and shortening it based on a sailmakers calculations may be the best solution. Then I can build a bimini for sun protection and avoid the chance of crew getting banged in the head.

Norm

Member I
Thanks. 1985 #697

Norm

Member I
The 30+ did have a very low riding boom. Under sail it is not such an issue and at the dock you can raise the topping lift so that it sits high enough above the pedestal so as not to interfere with your cockpit enjoyment. But, you are not the first to have this concern. The simplest solution is to have your sailmaker shorten the leech a foot or so, which will raise the boom up (obviously). You will lose a little sail area but it might be worth it as this boat has plenty to begin with. Of course the typical 90 degree angle of the luff and foot will no longer be 90 degrees and the boom will always be up a bit higher than the tack, but this should not really cause any problems, and if you don't race seriously, it is a small price to pay. The other, more "complete" solution is to raise the gooseneck up 10-12". This will require a more involved recut of the mainsail (shortening the sail by taking this amount off the luff, so you will have a new tack patch and a new clew patch), but the geometry of the sail will remain correct, and of course the labor and materials to move the gooseneck. This will also cause a loss of sail area, affecting the light air performance a little, but again, the boat is quite powered up to begin with and if you sail where is always some breeze you might be happier. If your main is already well used, I would try shortening the leech first and see how you like it. If you do, and are bothered by the new boom angle, maybe raise the gooseneck at the same time you buy a new mainsail so it fits perfectly and the reefs remain in the correct locations. Have fun
Thanks.Since my sails are blown out and will be replaced I think a total redesign with a shortened headsail will be good. I can raise the gooseneck and redo the running rigging, but need to get the sailmaker to calculate the best fit.

Richard H

My keel is modified from original. The previous owner had the wings removed and a small tip bolted to the bottom of the keel. Draft is 6'-0". I am not having any problems in the Bay. Plus, running into our muddy bottom with a fin keel is most often a non issue. I usually am able to back out or plow through.
i like the idea, having run around last week, requiring sea tow to pull me off, do you have sketches of the modifications?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
i like the idea, having run around last week, requiring sea tow to pull me off, do you have sketches of the modifications?
Mars Metals has done split bulb modifications for many boats, and used to have some photos on their site of an Ericson 38 and an E-35. Not sure if their photo gallery is still online.

Richard, it helps other help you if you will put your boat model, engine model, and sailing area into your Sig Line.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Martin, if you’re checking this thread occasionally, I have a question about the 31 Independence.

On our boat, at the bottom aft end of the anchor locker there is an opening in that bulkhead right above the curve in the bottom of the hull. The opening is three or four inches across. The inlet hose for the forward water tank runs through there and the outlet hose for the holding tank ran through as well before we removed the tank.
But that opening is still big enough that anchor chain can make its way aft into the forward storage compartment under the v-berth.

We use 100’ of chain and 200’ of rode so the rope portion effectively blocks that opening, but I’m curious if that was a design consideration for someone that used all chain. It could put at least some of the weight of the chain lower down and further aft. The bolts for the bobstay live in that same compartment so that might be a problem but they could be covered to keep the chain from snagging.

Just wondering if that was intentional or coincidental or if maybe our boat is the only one that has that opening.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin, if you’re checking this thread occasionally, I have a question about the 31 Independence.

On our boat, at the bottom aft end of the anchor locker there is an opening in that bulkhead right above the curve in the bottom of the hull. The opening is three or four inches across. The inlet hose for the forward water tank runs through there and the outlet hose for the holding tank ran through as well before we removed the tank.
But that opening is still big enough that anchor chain can make its way aft into the forward storage compartment under the v-berth.

We use 100’ of chain and 200’ of rode so the rope portion effectively blocks that opening, but I’m curious if that was a design consideration for someone that used all chain. It could put at least some of the weight of the chain lower down and further aft. The bolts for the bobstay live in that same compartment so that might be a problem but they could be covered to keep the chain from snagging.

Just wondering if that was intentional or coincidental or if maybe our boat is the only one that has that opening.
Hi David,

I'm not sure what Ericson intended there. For sure they wanted to drain the anchor locker to the bilge, but beyond that who's to say?Routing chain weight aft out of the locker is a good thing but I'm not sure that opening is big enough to allow that without feeding problems.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I’d be curious about the 36C. Those were beautiful and roomy boats. Why was it discontinued so quickly?
Well, for one thing both the 36C and the 31C were expensive to build, even back then and appealed to a very niche market. The market was also beginning to change in the late seventies with a demand for increased accomodations for a given length, and little or no exterior wood. I've talked about this in another thread whereby we move into phase 4 of production fiberglass boats with demands for wide sugar scoop transoms, plum stems, and sheerlines designed with a ruler. Boats were now being designed from the inside out, to meet the market at the expense of aesthetics. It's no surprise that a boat like the 36C would have a short production run.

Tom Dilworth

Vikings,

Ever wonder why the waterlines forward in the 38 are hollow?
Or why only 70 or so 31's were ever built?
I'm doing research on the history of Ericson and will be interviewing my
father about his 30 year relationship with that company. If you have
Ericson specific design questions, post them here, and I will do my
best to get the answers.

Martin
Hi Martin,
I have a 1967 Ericson 30, “Ellie”, which I love and have sailed to Mexico and recently Alaska. But as I’m sure you know, the propeller shaft exits the boat above and behind the rudder. This placement is unusual to say the least and allows the shaft and engine to be nearly level, which is a good thing. I haven’t noticed anything negative, except that when backing you really need to an iron grip on the tiller or the prop wash will jamb the rudder hard over. Another thing that I was initially worried about was cavitation, because the prop is only about a foot under the surface of the water. However that has never been an issue in 2,000 hours of motoring. So I would love to know what Bruce’s thoughts were on this unusual arrangement- why he did it that way and what are the pros and cons.
Thanks! Tom Dilworth