• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got Design Questions?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Martin,

I have E38 hull #20. Do you recall if the 38 rudder mold initially was the wrong shape (planform) at the top which meant the rudder did not line up with the stub fin aft of the rudder tube? Foss Foam seems to think so, after I reported the condition shown in the picture attached. Foss said that Ericson took back the mold and corrected it, which eliminated the need to correct the fairing (or the rudder?) on each boat during production.

Thanks in advance ...
Craig

View attachment 16251

I don't specifically recall this regarding the 38 rudder and neither does my father. This kind of thing was typical and having to retool a rudder mold wouldn't surprise me at all.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin, thanks for working to flesh out the Ericson history!

Who came up with the Ericson name and logo and did they consider any other names and logo's.

Doug Frye
Soon to be Ericson 35-3 Owner

The Ericson name was coined by Ray Handy. The story as I heard it was there was a guy who was assigned
the task of coming up with a name, but his suggestions were so bad that one day Ray Handy just showed up
making an executive decision. "We're calling it Ericson".

The provenance of the original logo is murky. It may have been done
by a gentleman named Ed Greer, who was handling the advertising for Ericson. When Ed actually started with the
company, nobody I know can recall.

Martin

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Thin blue cove stripe and white mast and boom 1987 32-III

I've learned that on my 1987 E32-III the thin blue cove stripe and white mast and boom are unusual. Is there any story behind that, or was it a customer option?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I've learned that on my 1987 E32-III the thin blue cove stripe and white mast and boom are unusual. Is there any story behind that, or was it a customer option?
Or a previous owner made the change? The PO of my boat repainted the cove stripe and I had my mast pulled and LP'd white. Changes like that on a 30 year old boat are not at all unusual.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Or a previous owner made the change? The PO of my boat repainted the cove stripe and I had my mast pulled and LP'd white. Changes like that on a 30 year old boat are not at all unusual.

Thanks Alan, that is certainly possible, I am curious about the possibility of it leaving the factory that way though.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Alan, that is certainly possible, I am curious about the possibility of it leaving the factory that way though.
Are you wondering because you are thinking of putting it back to the "factory" colors--or just out of curiosity? Is the paint peeling off of your mast and you need to repaint it? That was the case with mine. I briefly considered LP'ing it black, like it originally was, but abandoned that idea because white holds up better, all other things being equal. In my opinion the white looks better as well--but of course that's a subjective judgment.

The cove stripe is also purely cosmetic. One of the PO's of my boat covered over the dark blue (original gelcoat) stripe with a lighter blue painted one. I think the darker blue actually would look better. I don't know if he painted it over because the gelcoat was in bad shape underneath or because he simply preferred light blue. The paint is still holding up more or less OK, but at some point I may take paint remover and remove it and try to restore the original underlying gelcoat. But right now that's not a priority.

Last edited:

Roger

Member II
In the 80’s, the factory offered 2 color options for masts – white or black. Interestingly, most of the black masts went to West Coast buyers, and white to all the rest.

The most common cove & boot stripes were a single solid color, usually “Midwatch Blue”. Other stripe configurations such as narrow single or double stripes were available as a factory option. Of course, a PO could have made these changes as Alan mentioned.

A little Ericson trivia: when we tooled the 32-3, we decided to make the cove stripe flush with the hull, which made it much easier to mask off in the mold. Most or all previous Ericsons had a cove stripe that stood out from the hull.
When Bruce King first saw a 32 hull, he wasn’t happy about the aesthetics of the flush stripe, but it was too late to change at that point. However, on the next new boat we tooled (28), there was a prominent note on Bruce’s profile drawing: “Cove stripe damn well better stand proud ¼””. :egrin:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
With regards to the mast/boom color, my 1990 E38 is white. It's also a Sparcraft rig, but based on previous EY.o discussions, it seems most everybody has black Kenyon masts. Maybe around 1990 when Ericson was going under, they had too much credit run up with Kenyon, so switched to Sparcraft. There are several things on the boat which really make you wonder what was going on at the factory...

On old Ericson / Pacific Seacraft dealer recently looked at my interior, and noted some of the detailing was Pacific Sea Craft (vinyl headliner, teak trim). Just some more things that make me wonder what was happening around that transition time.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Different spar, different color

With regards to the mast/boom color, my 1990 E38 is white. It's also a Sparcraft rig, but based on previous EY.o discussions, it seems most everybody has black Kenyon masts. Maybe around 1990 when Ericson was going under, they had too much credit run up with Kenyon, so switched to Sparcraft. There are several things on the boat which really make you wonder what was going on at the factory...

On old Ericson / Pacific Seacraft dealer recently looked at my interior, and noted some of the detailing was Pacific Sea Craft (vinyl headliner, teak trim). Just some more things that make me wonder what was happening around that transition time.

As I recall, that particular spar did not appear tapered.
Looked like new though, as did the rest of the boat.

Loren

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
1987 32-III colors question

Thanks for all the replies. My question was curiosity. The spars are white Kenyon spars, and I believe the narrow blue cove stripe is original. I just wondered because I don't see that often in person or in pictures.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rick has a white mast on his 32-200. I have an anodized black Kenyon. Here is the factory '85 cove stripe on the 32-3, gel coat, and it retains its teal blue color.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ericson 32-3 cove stripe 1985.jpg
    ericson 32-3 cove stripe 1985.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 631

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Yep we have the white mast. Wish it was black. I have to get a cove stripe on our boat. It just makes it look right!

Last edited:

Doug177

Member III
Martin....could you ask your dad?

What NACA Foil Profiles he used on the Ericson 35-3 keel and rudder? Or did he design his own? What were the designed leading and trailing edge angles.

Did he commonly use a favorite profile on all his boats? Did he have a design theory on the subject?

Where the lead keel castings fairly accurate to his specified profiles? How about the rudder molds?

Or has this been answered and I haven't found it yet?

Doug

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
My last name is not king but.... I rebuilt the ruder on my E 26 mk3 last year and it was nasa00-12 and I stayed with that profile for the new rudder.
It seems like all of the mk 3 boats have very similar rudder and keel profiles.

Navman

Member III
bitter end

Why isn't there an eye bolt or similar method of attachment in the anchor locker for the bitter end of the anchor rode? Has anyone out there installed one?

We love our 1986 Ericson 38

Navman
E38 Optimist II

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, we've dealt with that

Why isn't there an eye bolt or similar method of attachment in the anchor locker for the bitter end of the anchor rode? Has anyone out there installed one?

We love our 1986 Ericson 38

Navman
E38 Optimist II

Our '88 model boat did not come with a tie point for the bitter end, either. :rolleyes:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3951-Re-Galvanizing-Anchors

If you look closely at the photos, on the starboard side of the well near the top, you will see a good-sized SS eye. I added that along with a backing plate on the other side. It was a bit gnarly to reach up from the inside of the forepeak with the wrench while someone else held the screwdriver. Seems solid enough to me. There is a sister ship moored nearby now (!) and he has the tell tale end of his anchor line emerging from the compartment and tied to a cleat... just like I used to do.
:)

Cheers,
Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was always told there is traditionally to be no attachment for the bitter end--it would serve no purpose, anyhow.

Glyn Judson

Keeping that ground tackle onboard.

Christian and others, Tradition aside, I have a factory installed D-ring permanently glassed into the hull in the anchor locker, photo attached. I also have an eye spliced into the bitter end of my rode with it all tied together with a bronze shackle, photo attached. Forgive the rust, I'll have to change that some day when it's near the last thing I have left to do on the boat. Glyn

Attachments

• Hull #55, Mighty Mate solenoid.jpg
    Hull #55, Mighty Mate solenoid.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 458