• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 with no reverse

sproption

Member II
Hi all!

I am a new E-29 owner with a nice, but old Atomic 4. Works great, starts great, hums along, but...

When I shift into forward with the clutch, I get a satisfying, lite "thump" but when I do the same in reverse, I get no such sound from the clutch.

I checked my cables, all seems well. When I threw the clutch in reverse trying to back away from my mooring nothing happened.

Anybody got an idea of a solution?

Sincerely,

Matt

paul culver

Member III
On my Atomic 4 I get a thump shifting into forward but not into reverse. Reverse sounds more like a light grinding sound which is normal (see Moyer Marine). At idle in reverse there is almost no motion in my boat until I throttle up. Are you not moving even at high throttle?

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Guy Stevens

What transmision

The engine is not the issue, what is the gearbox that is hooked to this particular atomic 4? That is the issue that you are having. There were as I remember a couple of options for gear boxes hooked to them.

sproption

Member II
Paul and Guy,

1. No, I did not "floor it" out of fear of going to fast in reverse with a seawall about 50' from me. I will try that idea in more open water. It is good to know there is no "thunk" in reverse.

2. My gear box/transmission is the most basic of the choices. Sorry, I know that is not quite technical, but my manual is aboad the boat :egrin:

Thanks guys.

Matt

Emerald

My experience with A4 transmissions is that they don't lock into reverse, but you need to hold back pretty firmly to engage. Make sure you are getting full travel at the gearbox - e.g. if you pulled back on the shift lever all the way, and then disconnect the cable from the input lever on the transmission, can you move the input lever further back than you're getting with the shift lever travel? If you're getting full movement of the input lever on the transmission, it might be a candidate for a clutch adjustment.

TRMN8R

Member II
This is a known issue due POSSIBLY to reversing gear adjustment which I went through last season. Also, this is VERY WELL documented on Moyer Marine's website via FAQ section; actually an entire section devoted just to the adjustments. Again, barring other possible problems, I'd start there. It's a relatively easy job to remove the plate, loosen the bolt (without losing it into the abyss of oil) and making the adjustment ONE detent at a time on the adjusting band.

Hope this helps!

Emerald

[snip] It's a relatively easy job to remove the plate, loosen the bolt (without losing it into the abyss of oil) and making the adjustment ONE detent at a time on the adjusting band.

Hope this helps!

Just to make sure my prior post doesn't add to confusion (I said clutch), the adjustment TRMN8R speaks of above is what I am thinking also.

TRMN8R

Member II
My (last year) symptoms were very similar; wouldn't go into reverse, no sound, nata.......then I made this band adjustment (can't remember if it tightens or loosens) but anyway, it corrected the problem that I had. Again, I would refer anyone to the MM website for very detailed instructions.

Rhynie

Member III
Matt,
Get hold of an engine manual and it will show you the steps for adjusting. It is pretty straightforward. Getting to the clutch is another story, contortionist type requirements. The A-4 clutch shares the same oil bath as the engine and many folks will use synthetic/slippery stuff oils; that is generally a no-no as it tends to cause the clutch to slip. You might do an oil change while your at it and use straight HD 30 or 40 weight oil.

Give Moyer marine a call, they are very helpful folks.

Have fun!

sproption

Member II
To All,

Thank you. That is plenty for me to address and try. I knew about Moyer, but I did not know they had this issue well documented.

You guys are awesome!

Again, thanks to all.

Another reason for me to be very happy with buying an Ericson!

Matt